Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

1.8 16v Distributor probs, fills up with water !

Alright dudes

I know plenty about VR corrados but i know very little about the 1.8 16v ive just bought, its the first car i have ever owned with a distributor !!

I serviced it the other day and fitted a distributor & rotor arm amongst other things, when i fitted the cap it seemed pretty loose so i removed the complete dizzy from the head but it looked fine, the cap however does still seem a little loose, i can rotate it about 5degrees even when the two clips are on. I refitted the complete distributor the car started and ran fine but i wasnt happy with the fit of the cap and remembered to look at it in the future.

All was fine til i steam cleaned the engine bay, the car cut out while i was doing it, i checked the dizzy cap and it was full (1/2 a cup full) of water, the car started and ran perfect again when i dried it out.

So im guessing the car is missing some sort of seal inbetween the dizzy cap and the dizzy itself, am i correct ? has anyone a picture from ETKA i can look at ?

Jimmi...............

You've got the wrong cap - GSF sold me one a few years ago for a mk2 16v that fitted but not as well as the old one I took off... thought it was ok but a couple of weeks later it was full of water.

The dust seal part is missing no. 16 on ETKA, but i doubt its that.

Funnily enough SUPERCHARGED the cap has just been bought from GSF so its probably that. ill go to the dealers and get a new cap and dust cover.

I know the forum doesnt condone it but does anyone know where i could get a copy of ETKA ? replies via PM !

Jimmi.................