Sign in to follow this  
waynos

wiring up an ammeter

have got myself a tim ammeter but i have lost the instructions doh!

does anyone kno how to wire these up? ive herad that they have to be put in line with the alternator to battery lead or starter to battery lead. however ive just upgraded these to nice thicker cables and it doesnt seem to make sense to cut a thick wire to put thinner wire running to to the gauge and then thick wire back to the battery.

is there any other wire i can connect this in line with? eg the wire that goes from the battery to the fuse box?

What circuit do you want to measure the current in? Are you looking for the current drawn by the whole car, or just the stereo for instance?

you need to connect everything you want to measure so between the battery and the fuse box should get most, or between alternator and battery to see if the alternator works ok. really need 2 one in each so you can make sure the alternator puts out more then the car pulls

just dont connect to the starter circuit as this can pull 250 amps and will overload your meter

personally i wouldnt bother with one