Sign in to follow this  
griff500

VR6 Blowing fuse 16(15A) regularly-why!!

Guys and Gals,

My VR started but cut out after a second or two aswell as the sunroof and spoiler being non-functional. Turned out to be the fuse which I promptly replaced. All's good in the world!!!!

Then it blew again after a week or so. Then again, etcetc.

Any idea why this could be happening. Thought it could be the 'roof or spoiler motor but the fuse seems to blow when these are closed/retracted, could it be blowing on start-up??

Thanks for your time.

Fuel pump may be on way out but more likely lambda wiring...

Look at the plug near the rear engine mount and then check the engine mounts too

How old is your VR?

If it's a late model with an immobiliser ECU (CP code) then it could be the same fault as DaveStorm and I had. Engine starts fine runs for one second then stops.

If you scan with VAG-COM you'll get an 'Engine start without immobiliser'fault code. But you must have VAG-COM on the car when it does it because the fault gets cleared when you turn the ignition off.

Easy to fix though if it is?

Sunroof may be something else.

I had this a few months back too - although the engine didn't cut out...but the 15A fuse blew every time the rear spoiler went up or down. I operated the rear spoiler manually a few times (take the trim off the boot and there's a manual handle you can use to wind it up and down) then tried it with a 20A fuse and it worked fine, so then reverted to the 15A fuse and haven't had any further problems (touch wood!), so in my case think it might have been the spoiler motor getting jammed on something and tripping the fuse... worth a try! Afraid there's no real science behind this so the fix could be pure coincidence!

Good luck!

It's a '95 Storm, 118K.

Was the fuse blowing with you guys when you had this problem?

I can interrogate the ECU with VAG-COM fairly easily locally but what is likely to be the fault?.

Thanks

How old is your VR?

If it's a late model with an immobiliser ECU (CP code) then it could be the same fault as DaveStorm and I had. Engine starts fine runs for one second then stops.

If you scan with VAG-COM you'll get an 'Engine start without immobiliser'fault code. But you must have VAG-COM on the car when it does it because the fault gets cleared when you turn the ignition off.

I'll be popping her on the ramp to looksee as soon as the weather breaks.

Thanks.

Fuel pump may be on way out but more likely lambda wiring...

Look at the plug near the rear engine mount and then check the engine mounts too

If you have remove the fuse box cover and the lower shelf (drivers side), then get you head right under with a torch you'll see a little black box with a small black cable going into it via a connector (the cable comes from the ignition key pickup coil). Pull the connector and give it a spray with some electrical contact cleaner, then work it on and off a few times and give it a go. Should start fine and be OK for about 18 months.

The alternative is to go to the dealer and spend £200 on a new ignition pickup coil and immob box to get a gold plated connector (the standard ones a nickel-tin plate which corrodes enough to cause a problem).

The fuse sounds like something different but it looks like somebody else has had that happen.

It's a '95 Storm, 118K.

Was the fuse blowing with you guys when you had this problem?

I can interrogate the ECU with VAG-COM fairly easily locally but what is likely to be the fault?.

Thanks

How old is your VR?