Sign in to follow this  
john-boy

17" alloys rubbing

Hello all,

I am a newbie to this forum and also to the world of Corrado's having only had my 1.8 16V for about 5 months. It's a beauty :D but one big problem...

I bought the car with non standard wheels. They're 17" VW alloys, 205/40 marked on the tyres. There is definite rubbing of the inside of the front tyres on the front and back of the wheel arches (mostly when steering is on full lock) This has caused lots of wear and recently a slow puncture :(

As you can probably tell, my knowledge of car technicalities is pretty small in comparison to my appreciation for a beautiful looking automobile!

What are my options? Should i change the wheels? Arch mods? Would be very grateful for some help.

Many thanks

J

car is lowered?

i would say arch mods (plastic liners) to start... and if they doesnt help it i might consider mods to the metalwork itself, although you shouldnt have to with a proper size/offset 17", unless the car is really low.

As far as I know it hasn't been lowered, i also presume that these wheels are OK for the car and I shouldn't have to change them? Plastic liners for the front arches - is that a DIY job or through a dealer?

hi ive got 17" on my corrado and mine rubbed wen on full lock, so i put spacers on to bring the wheels out and that seemed to fix the problem. i dont no if it is the same problem as yours though. :D

i suffer from same. i run 7.5x17 with 205 40 17. I was tempted to remove the liners but they protect the crank and water pump pulley and PS belt.

a set of spacers may help or it may bring the fouling to the outer arch edge.

Many thanks all

I'm going to enquire about the spacer option, others have said the same, i think it'll only need 2 b a few mm fingers crossed. Will watch out for catching on the outer arch.

Appreciate your help

JB:)

you need to check the offset of the rim, take a wheel off and find the offset size, should be ET35, or ET38, depending on the model, someone else will be able to explain better than me.