Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Advice needed.

Hi all, Need a bit of advice please. Took a corner a bit too quick on a greasy road last week & mounted the kerb, done a bit more damage than i thought (as it does) anyway i need a new subframe/wishbone/track rod end..my garage which are very good said the subframe will be £201 for starters...all in all £450 with labour. I am fully comp so should i go down the insurance road ? and do they let you us your own garage ? and last but not least will they write it off :?: sorry for all the questions but never had a accident before, not bad for 22 years of driving.

Cheers Chris.

I suggest you call your insurers and ask how much they will penalise you for based on the repair being about £700-1000, if that sounds ok then you could get a few bits painted as well! Bear in mind you will have an excess to pay so you need to make sure it is worth it! If you have a high excess like me (£450!) then it is probably best to cover it yourself. You could always save a few bob by getting the hardware from a breakers.

Oh, and you can use any garage you like, although they sometimes prefer thier approved ones, but you will probably have to get a quote or 2.

Hi all, Need a bit of advice please. Took a corner a bit too quick on a greasy road last week & mounted the kerb, done a bit more damage than i thought (as it does) anyway i need a new subframe/wishbone/track rod end..my garage which are very good said the subframe will be £201 for starters...all in all £450 with labour. I am fully comp so should i go down the insurance road ? and do they let you us your own garage ? and last but not least will they write it off :?: sorry for all the questions but never had a accident before, not bad for 22 years of driving.

Cheers Chris.

For that cost I'd avoid an insurance claim, you should be able to pick up a second hand subframe for less than that too, only trouble is the cost of delivery or going to get it, if it's not close to you. TBH 450 quid sounds great.

Thanks, Just been taking to a geezer from my insurance place, says odds on they will write it off so going to pay for it myself..can't take the risk after all the money and time i've spent on it.

sounds wise. Just bear in mind that you will bare all the risk and should the car feel odd even once the work is done, there would be no come-back.

Who told you that those items needed fixing? The insurers garages might find even more faults or possibly less - who knows.

Good luck chris!! -- at least you admitted you were going too quick, some people say the corner was too tight, lol.

Thanks for the replies guys, not being right after the work being done is a little worry stuart i must admit. But can't imagine life without my G60 now, had it for nearly two years and i have a smile from ear to ear every time i drive it (apart from when i lost it on that corner !!! lol) ..........totally my fault, pulling off the A1 to gainsbrough which i have never drove before, in bad patchy fog, i can remember thinking half way there i should have took the missus's yaris. my mate said this is a tight corner if i can remember right, went round it no problem , started picking up speed hit a fog patch then the road just took a even sharper left...whoops too late, straight on and up the kerb onto the grass. never saw the corner till i was crossing the white lines in the middle of the road, i'm just thankfull nothing was coming the other way.

There is one other option,

both my sister and brother-in-law have had cars written off recently as Cat D after minor bumps that would have cost a fair bit in new panels and spray work to fix, in both cases the cars were worth IRO a grand and both cost about 3-400 quid to actually fix. Both of them got around 800 quid payouts on the cars and bought them back from the insurers for a tennner or something.

If you then want to sell them on you just need to get them inspected by the DVLA for about 60 quid, but I don't think you even need to do this if you simply keep them yourself.

It was well worth doing for them as both cars were very sound before the accidents and were quite low mileage with very good engines.

There was no intention to pull one on the insurance companies here, it's just through a bit of their own effort and a father that's in the motor trade they got the cars fixed for a fraction of the estimators figure.

Hi shawshankkid, reading your initial post you say all in it'll cost £450? being a 39 year old without an accident on your record then i'd imagine you have a very low or no excess and possibly protected no-claims, how much do your insurance company believe your G60 is worth because i have some work done on my 1st golf about 3-4 years ago when some stupid woman decided not to use her brakes at a junction in a car park but use my front wing instead and it needed a

new wing

new bumper

new lower grill

new wheel trim

+ spraying and fitting labour it was about £700

The golf was on my policy as being worth £2000 but the insurance company had no problem with me getting it fixed straight away.