Sign in to follow this  
HarleyGirl

Still can't open passenger door!!!!

I still can't open my passenger door. Previously I thought it was a central locking problem - but I think that is working.

There is no tension on either the exterior handle or interior door release lever - so it feels like the rod may be broken.

Having stripped the other door down I can't see anyway to get to the mechanism without removing the door card - and you've guessed it, can't see how to remove the door card with the door shut!!!

It's been suggested to me that I need to hammer a screwdriver through the door skin! just below the door handle like a car thief!.

Anyone know if this will give me access and leverage to open the door? and can you get armour(?) plates for the corrado that I could use to cover the damage?

Any thoughts?

you can get the door card off with the door shut if you are very careful.........the screw holes in the door card sides will be the only damage if you are careful when you remove it,it can be done but as I've mentioned very carefully..........what interior is it you have btw as it might be better sourcing another door card and just "going" to town on the existing one.............it'll be easier than hammering thru the door skin thats for sure

First take off the the interior pull handle and the door opening handle and any switches, speakers, pods etc you should then get a small screwdriver in to undo the two rear screws on the rear edge of the card.

Undo the locking pull knob and pull off the triangle shaped bit of trim by the mirror (screwdriver may help it's clipped in), then gently pull the card away from the door at the back edge and lift slightly to seperate the black trim at the top of the card from the corresponding bit on the door along the bottom of the window, it's tight but just go carefully.

Once the top trim is out of the top of the door the card will be pivoting on the front door card screw which you can't undo with the door shut.

You can then prise the doorcard away from the front of the door and the plastic receptacle for the screw should pull out of the door.

Job done!

I had a similiar prob with my drivers side and my Audi handle conversion, I had to lever up the operating lever on the lock mech so that it would unlock properly. I'll get a new mech eventually but since the card's been off 2 months it's done it twice so i carry a screwdriver!! It's on the list.

I hope this helps.

Colin

Thanks Colin - I'll give it a go. I did buy some replacement door cards yesterday which I have as a fall back, but would rather keep the original ones if possible as the new ones aren't exactly the same material!

I'll post when I've done it!

I may have made a slight error, it was late/early :oops: , in that you may not be able to remove the card from the front with the door shut but you will be able to get access to the locking parts of the mech through the square hole in the door. I had to lever against this to manipulate my operating lever so that the locking mech unlocked with the central locking.

No key holes A3 handles - doh!

I said 'I', but meant 'Nick Young' at Youngs Garage, Gasoline Alley, Wrotham Hill, Kent the first time, when I couldn't sort it myself.

He then let me use his forcourt and tools to fettle it a bit!!! Top bloke. All part of the fun.

Good Luck, Colin

Thanks - I'm going try this tomorrow. Is it fairly obviously what needs to be levered to release the door catch?

Did you do this with the seat in the car?

Ta.

I put the seat right back and reclined it to do the doorcard, and also dropped the window to stand outside to fiddle with the mech, torch handy!

I wasn't sure bout the prob which is why i took it to Nick. I originally thought it was a detached doorpin rod jammed under the doorcard but once that was off it was apparent that that was not the case! My problem was the door handle wasn't letting it's mech operating lever back to it's neutral postion, it was still under tension. Once that was pushed down (in my case) the lock itself could unlock.

As i understand it the corrado handles push the lever down to operate, so you may have to lift it to return it to a neutral position, if that is actually your problem.

Good luck Colin