Sign in to follow this  
fazgti

Headlight not working-HELP

Did you reconnect the main loom plug to the back of the headlight properly? Sorry if that sounds obvious, but I managed to forget once and obviously it'll kill dip, main, the high beam spot and parking lights in one fell swoop. Make sure it's pushed right in so it's locked in position.

1 Headlight, low beam, left 10

2 Headlight, low beam, right 10

3 Instrument panel lights, license plate lights 10

4 Rear window wiper 15

5 Wiper/washer, front 15

6 Fresh air fan 20

7 Tail lights, side marker light, right 10

8 Tail lights, side marker light, left 10

9 Rear window defogger 20

10 Foglights 15

11 Headlight, high beam, left 10

12 Headlight, high beam, right 10

13 Horn, radiator fan run-on 10

14 Back-up lights, washer jet heaters 10

15 Electronic ignition, idle stabilizer, deceleration fuel shut off 10

16 Dash warning lights, glove box light, cassette storage light, rear spoiler adjustment control unit 15

17 Emergency flasher switch, turn signals 10

18 Fuel pump 20

19 Radiator coolant fan, A/C 30

20 Brake lights 10

21 Interior lights, cigarette lighter, digital clock,

rear spoiler adjustment 15

22 Radio 10

have you made sure the ignition is one when you test it?

i spent ages thinking i'd broke something the other day, then found out only one side seems to come on without the ignition :lol:

"3 Instrument Panel, Number Plate light...."

Actaully labelled on mine as just No Plate light....

Found out it also does the dash when my Dipped fuse blew one night.

So I thought, "I know numberplate light's the least vital thing I can rob a fuse from". Went to start the car, lights working, but why can't I see the dash?"

Bl00dy Germans.... linking the dash and the no. plate lights.. Though they were supposed to be Logical. :mad:

Right checked the fuses and all fine, ended up taking the headlights and grill off to have a better look, yea i did try with ignition on lol, even the full beam does'nt work but it does on drivers side

So all you changed was the main beam bulb, the H3 one, and now it doesn't work at all? No sidelight, no dip, no main beam even on the H4 side, nothing?

Do you have an uprated wiring loom fitted, one that takes the power direct from the battery and is triggered by relays? If you do, check and see if there's a separate fuse that might have blown.

I'd go back to square one, maybe even fit new bulbs just in case they've blown or are faulty, which would be unlucky, but sometimes happened. Check all the connections inside the headlight. Make sure the four pin connector is attached properly.

If you can be arsed, you could always take the drivers side light off and try plugging it into the passenger side wiring - I'm assuming the connections are the same way round for both - which at least will tell you if power is reaching the connector. If there's juice reaching the light, at least you know that the fault's inside the headlight/ bulbs. Or use a multimeter to check whether your're getting power at the plug.

If there's no power reaching the connector, then at least you know the fault is further back - fuse / wiring / loose connection - and can look for the problem.

If you're going to do the headlight swap over, you might want to check that the wiring on the inside of the headlight plug is in the same place on both sides - just open the big round cover on the back of the headlight housing and you can see the wires inside and the position they're in.

You got my sympathy mate, I bloody hate electrics :-(

Yea all the headlights are off in my garage now, wiring in the back of the headlights looks fine but it was raining HARD when i fitted the bulb :oops: