Sign in to follow this  
cata

Need advice on audio system (yes I used search)

I have some kind of 3" mids mounted in the dash (which I don't plan to bother with) and 2 X 10" JL subs powered by a Sony Xplod 750 amp in the boot.

The PO began installing tweeters in the sail panels (all the wiring is there) but not happy with the units so want to get better ones.

After doing a search, the plan so far is to get Lanzars for the rear trays because I want to keep the stock configuration rather than disconnect the blown stock ones. I'm also planning to get the Audioscape door pods, and to replace my crappy Alpine deck with the JVC KD-AVX2 unit.

I need some recommendations for quality 6.5" door speakers and tweeters. What's the best way to wire these all together, should I get a second amp, is my Xplod any good?

I know they're all newbie questions but audio was never my strong point and don't want to go talking to salespeople.

Thanks for any given help.

Ok mate....here goes! Get some Focal or Infinity comps in 6.5" mids with tweets. The tweets can live where your 3" mids in dash are. Loosing an Alpine head unit for a JVC, hmmmm, i would stick to an Alpine anyday but its down to personal choice. JVC do have lots of flashing lights with different colours and looking all techno but whats the sound quality like, maybe try a search on Google with model name etc before you part with any cash on headunit?

As for subs 2 X 10"s are just fine for a nice tight, punchy bass. Running subs off an amp really does not matter what amp you have as long as it has some power. Sony are terrors for splashing some huge fiqures across the front of there amps, what you really need to know is the true RMS figures. The comps can run off the head unit but will sound so much better if run off an amp....far more clarity and volume, many people say 'oh my speakers are distorting' fact is its almost always the amp giving in thus giving the distorted sound. If you need help with wiring in your comps then please feel free to PM me.

Paul.

i've got focal components in audioscape pods up front and a 12" vibe sub in the rear and it sounds spot on with a bit of dynamatt in the doors and rear quarters/boot , i put the crossovers in the kick panels and the tweeters in the original grills , had them on top of the dash but the sound was too bright for my liking, pioneer h/u

I'm sure it's stressful trying to explain these things.

First, the boot is now dynamated and am planning to do the same for the doors just not sure what good the "skins" are for. Since the speakers in the dash have already been replaced, I decided to leave them for a long while. Now the issue with the tweeters, I understand that their position is crucial to sound quality so am I better off to get focal 6.5" with tweeters in them and replace the already hacked up triangular sail panels from each door, or is that a good spot to go for and stick some in there?

Second, should I get a second amp for all these speakers or is there no need. If so, I'm open to suggestions. I already have two crossovers that need to be wired up and, I appreciate the offer Mancorr, I'm going to need your help when I get there.

The JVC deck, I will look into it more but as long as the sound is above average then I will go for it because I like how clean it looks compared to lots of different colors.

Cheers

cata, i had the AVX1 for a year. first off the pciture quality on the screen is psp esq, ie very very good indeed. But what i would say is that the whole unit is av biased with little sound options. That said the sound quality is really very good. I had an expesnive alpine dec before and it was on a par, except the jvc never went wrong unlike the alpine i had, or should i say the 3 i had and gave up! Great sound quality, but in my experience despite what everyone including reviewers say, ive had umpteen alpines over the last 10 yrs and they've all failed from buttons falling off to lights going out etc etc.

You can get the AVX2 for £319 mail order with free delivery btw

Thanks for the input, that's really good news because I love the way it looks.

There's no rush because I'm building the car from the inside out and want to get everything right before I drive it again because I need to do some work on the front end. The HU will probably be the very last thing I will purchase for the sound system so it should be cheaper by then.

On your old one, could you import visualisations or anything like that?

[EDIT] Turns out it doesn't have any visualisations at all.