Sign in to follow this  
The Hub

Starter motor help needed

I am in the middle of changing my starter motor and I want to replace the old bush that the shaft runs on, can anyone help me on how to get this out. It's getting dark and cold and need to get this finished soon.

Thanks in advance

If it's the one in the housing then use a hacksaw blade to cut inside the bearing face so it makes a 'C' shape. Bend the bush in and it will flick out. Careful not to cut into the bush housing too much. Good luck.

If you can find a thread tap tool which just bites ito it, or a stud extractor, screw it in and then pull it out. Don't use one that's too big, or you'll expand the bush and it won't come out. It is bronze, so fairly soft.

If that doesn't work, you can always go back to the hacksaw blade method. Incidentally, it is likely that you will invalidate the warranty on the new starter motor if the bush is not replaced.

Best wishes

RB

:cheers: :thumb right: Got my starter motor finished today and the Raddo back up and running and the smile back on my face. And all with no garage fees :) Thanks for your help guys :D

and every time you turn the key and it fires up you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it.

Good work!