Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Autoglym products vs a more modern equivalent

Nath, I used to be in the valeting game years ago, and we always used to buy AG stuff in bulk like you probably do.

However reading some reviews, other companies seem to be offering better stuff.

Would you agree with this or is it used for hard sell purposes?

I notice Auto Express recommend the Comma polish over the AG gear.

Whats your views on that and anyone else tried this Comma stuff

The reason people always use to use AG stuff is because no one else did products in bulk, theres more choice now.

Meguiars, Clearkote are some of my other favs to name a few.

Meg's is poplular because they have a product for pretty much everything now.

So has anyone gave the Comma polish a go?

Reason I ask is I am just about out of AG Polish and if there is something out there that is cheaper and more importantly give a better shine and level of protection then I would go for it

Hi

i still use autoglym for most of the washing process as i feel their products are good and cost effective.

When it comes to polishing and waxing a car i tend to use other brands now as the only think AG offer is the extra gloss protection. They seem to have mossed the boat a little with the whole natural wax and clay bar thing.

Although... saying that i still regularly use super resin polish. Out of everything i have used in the same bracket of products i still feel this one is the best.

Not used the comma stuff though... although i know dad has a big 25L container of their shampoo in the shed that he prefers to anything else... mind you.. thats cause i dont let him use my AG shampoo ;)

Hi

i still use autoglym for most of the washing process as i feel their products are good and cost effective.

When it comes to polishing and waxing a car i tend to use other brands now as the only think AG offer is the extra gloss protection. They seem to have mossed the boat a little with the whole natural wax and clay bar thing.

Although... saying that i still regularly use super resin polish. Out of everything i have used in the same bracket of products i still feel this one is the best.

Not used the comma stuff though... although i know dad has a big 25L container of their shampoo in the shed that he prefers to anything else... mind you.. thats cause i dont let him use my AG shampoo ;)

Thanks for the reply, they had that Extra Gloss years ago, do you not recommend it nowadays.

It was years ago I was in the valeting game but now I just want to get my Corrado looking as best as I can and offer decent protection.

It has serious tar spots on it, just used the AG stuff there, was pretty tedious and not very effective.

I found that with several of their products way back, I remember some company came out with a dry fly remover in spray format and it was brilliant and cost nothing.

So then went and used the AG Super Resin, just the retail bottle...now dont know if this was actually true or is still the case but the AG salesmen used to say that the big trade containers of the polish had more cutting agent in it.

I am finding the AG polish is not offering very long protection to be honest thats why was curious about the Comma stuff with it winning awards.

You've lost me with the natural wax and clay bar thing, never heard of the latter.

What have they come out with nowadays for polishing cloths, I just use mutton cloth mostly, is that a bad idea what with many products on the market.

Are the flexi blades ok for drying or not recommended

Didnt think polish had any protection in it? justs leaves a smooth surface. which is why you wax afterwards.

Id be cautious of a flexiblade. one bit of grit and you have one mutha of a scratch on your car.

Didnt think polish had any protection in it? justs leaves a smooth surface. which is why you wax afterwards.

Id be cautious of a flexiblade. one bit of grit and you have one mutha of a scratch on your car.

Resin stuff offers some form as after use, the dirt you pick up is a lot easier to remove than if you hadn't used it and it still retains a shine.

I remember when AG first brought out there Flexiblade, I used it a fair bit, carefully of course, car thoroghly hosed so no grit to be had as such, never managed one mutha of a scratch anyway

Flexiblades are a big no no!

I just done a CRX, other halfs Golf and my Corrado, dried off with the AG blade that I have had for years and a chamois.....no issues as such.

Why do you say no no, as opposed to just need to be careful?

the super resin polish is a mild hand polish and acrylic sealant that will give you approx 1 month of protection. the extra gloss protection is a non cleaning non abrassive sealant that lasts 2-3 months ontop of the SRP.

Natural wax (carnauba) will give a warmer glow and can offer anything from 1-6 months protection. The more carnauba the better the shine usually although each mix is different now. for example zymol vintage with 61% white carnauba doesnt last as long as destiny with 50% white carnauba. Natural wax leaves a nicer finish than a man made acrylic sealant.

Clay bar has been around for years. Its literally a bar of clay that you wipe over the paint (with use of a clay lube) to remove embedded brake dust, tree sap etc. Its a very effective cleaning process that i carry out on all major details.

Im going to slit this section of my thread off into a new one about AG products in the modern world.

thanks

Nathan

I just done a CRX, other halfs Golf and my Corrado, dried off with the AG blade that I have had for years and a chamois.....no issues as such.

Why do you say no no, as opposed to just need to be careful?

Trust me, I've worked on enough cars to see the damage done by blades. I'm not talking major scratches but similar to swirl marks.

A proper drying towel is all you need. It will soak up the moisture as opposed to having it scraped off, one is kinder to the paint than the other. :wink:

If you want to use a blade they're only worth using on glass, not bodywork. I have to work to a paranoid level of carefullness (such a thing?!) as I work on other peoples cars, most people wouldn't see the damage we try to avoid creating.

Wet a black CD and rub the blade over that a few times, unless your being really incredibly careful and slow you'll see scratches in an instant, which if you are, it would work out slower than a drying towel anyway!

All my opinion of course! :wink:

i like to use collinite as a wax protection and then polish on top of that with poorboys or clearkote , i dont really like ag for dark cars as it can be very static and causes dust or white residue , i do like the ag gold protection though

i like to use collinite as a wax protection and then polish on top of that with poorboys or clearkote , i dont really like ag for dark cars as it can be very static and causes dust or white residue , i do like the ag gold protection though

using any kind of polish or cleaner AFTER a wax will remove the wax.

Collinite (as with any wax) is a final stage and if you want to maintain it just use another non cleaning wax... or why not another coat of collinite!

i'll give it a go the other way round nathan , the reason i did it that way is because the clearkote or poorboys gives a better gloss than the collinite, i know the collinite shines very well but the other stuff is almost like varnishing the paint it reflects so well but i'll bow to greater knowledge and try it

cheers

paul

which clearkote stuff was it you were using?

you should use those on the paint first and then the collinite. It will still retail most of its shineyness and be much better protected.

ClearKote Carnauba Moose Wax

This liquid wax is a brilliant, easy to use, top of the line Carnauba finishing wax. It produces an unbelievable wet look shine, and provides the best finish possible of any products, for those looking for a deep wet look on reds and solid blacks. This product is suitable for all colours and finishes, and will always leave a glossy wet finish behind it. It is extremely durable, and offers excellent protection to your paint finish. This wax is applied very thinly for the best finish, and as such, this naturally means that you do not need to use a great deal of product; making it good value for money too. Carnauba Moose Wax performs fantastically as a finishing wax for all those after a really wet look finish for their paintwork. For the real perfectionists, and those after the wettest look possible, this wax should be preceded by a 'smoother' wax - ClearKote Yellow Moose Cream Wax is recommended - and this two stage waxing process will give the wettest look possible on your vehicle, out of any products on the market. Unlike many older formulation products, Carnauba Moose Wax can be used in the shade or in the sunlight. The product is easy on/easy off, and is very long lasting. 16oz.

I valet 10-40 cars a day - i use many different products, mostly of which are trade. I do use autoglym wax, its still one of the best products out there regardless of cost (its been maintaining my customers cars for 7 years...the same car).

Flexiblades are safe, time saving to use.....if used correctly...just like anything else.

Critics will always claim that anything you touch the paintwork with will damage it...those same pple shouldnt drive their cars 'stone chips, grit, heavy rain moving dirt across the paint, car parking dents, bird plop stains, tree sap damage'.

Theres not alot of difference in quality between most retail products on the market- end of the day your cars always going to get dirty and its always going to need cleaning...unless your a farmer?? :-)

Flexiblades are safe, time saving to use.....if used correctly...just like anything else.

your cars always going to get dirty and its always going to need cleaning...unless your a farmer?? :-)

Yes I agree with that, a lot of the valeting I used to do was new cars for the showroom and I always used the blade ever since AG provided me with one and I never used to see swirling afterwards.

Can relate to the farmer thing, one came in to this dealers and he put it over to us, tell you scrubbing brush for the seats.....no try a wire brush maybe, its was shocking.

Great thread

@Nath, what would you recommend i use on mine to "top it up" (is that a phrase, i dunno?) but all i've done since you came, is to wash it with Meg's Gold Class shampoo/conditioner

i been afraid to use any kinda products on it after as i don't want to bugger up the wax protection, not sure i really need to do much tbh, the water still falls off car and its looks great after a simple wash

I valet 10-40 cars a day - i use many different products, mostly of which are trade. I do use autoglym wax, its still one of the best products out there regardless of cost (its been maintaining my customers cars for 7 years...the same car).

Critics will always claim that anything you touch the paintwork with will damage it...those same pple shouldnt drive their cars 'stone chips, grit, heavy rain moving dirt across the paint, car parking dents, bird plop stains, tree sap damage'.

Theres not alot of difference in quality between most retail products on the market- end of the day your cars always going to get dirty and its always going to need cleaning...unless your a farmer?? :-)

When you say autoglym wax... do you mean the super resin polish? Little missleading saying wax as autoglym dont actually produce a wax to my knowledge. Even the trade liquid hardwax (extra gloss protection) is not technically a wax but a man made acrylic sealant ... and its very very good dont get me wrong... but misleading to call it a wax.

As for flexiblades.... the jury is out i think still on these.. I have the AG one in my van but rarely use it anymore as i have seen damage that it can cause. I think if your cleaning in a proper valet bay and you keep the blade clean and blade the car as soon as its washed it MIGHT be ok .. but if your outside... all kinds of dust could have blown onto a car between rinsing and blading... but then i guess even using a towel will move that around (although there is more chance the towel will take the dust into the fibres more than a silicone blade)

Great thread

@Nath, what would you recommend i use on mine to "top it up" (is that a phrase, i dunno?) but all i've done since you came, is to wash it with Meg's Gold Class shampoo/conditioner

i been afraid to use any kinda products on it after as i don't want to bugger up the wax protection, not sure i really need to do much tbh, the water still falls off car and its looks great after a simple wash

Hi Jim... on yours theres no need to top any wax up for a good 2-3 months yet. its had 2 coats of collinite 24 hrs apart and each coat is 'supposed' to last 12 months... in the real world i'd expect them to last a GOOD 6 months.

topping up isnt going to harm it though as long as you dont use a cleaning wax products... so for instance.. autoglym super resin polish is a no no.

Try collinite 845. Its easier to apply and remove than the 476s i used but just as effective. or megs #16 paste wax... its not as durable as the collinite stuff.. but remember you have the 476s underneath so its not a huge issue. and its a better looking wax.

the shampoo your using is fine aswell. just remember to pre rinse the car as much as poss to get as much dirt off BEFORE you start using a mit to shampoo

nice one, thanks Nath

is it safe to use a detergent/shampoo that you put in the pressure washer, mine has a bottle for it, just not sure what shampoo i have for it, it came with the washer, i'll find out what its called

My washed does too, but also has a low pressure "soaking" setting, for applying detergent. No water pressure, so I recon it'll be safe to use. I only ever really blast the underside anyway.

As for polish, I recently tried some Sonus stuff, and its far nicer than anything elso I've tried. Stays more liquid for longer, and doesn't dry up and bead, so works well with my machine polisher.

Also tried, on a friends 4X4, a good layer of megs wax, then AG Extra gloss protection, mainly because I had some lying around. The result was a fantastic deep glossy shine, and the dirt is still falling off months later, despite spending half of its time in a field. Definately something I would do again!

Phil

nice one, thanks Nath

is it safe to use a detergent/shampoo that you put in the pressure washer, mine has a bottle for it, just not sure what shampoo i have for it, it came with the washer, i'll find out what its called

depends.. its not the pressure thats gonna hurt the wax.. its the agressivness of the detergent. check to see if it says its wax safe and if it is just use it slightly watered down.