Sign in to follow this  
willg95vr6

presurised header tank, springing leaks

does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong, i think my head gasket is on its was out.

I have a 1995 vr6 110k miles the heater matrix went not long ago, then a pipe from the rocker cover to the matrix. (both replaced).

the car runs perfectly doesn't run hot. the problem being the water pours out of the header tank when hot. i have replaced the header tank.

the problem is i think the water pressure is far too high and it is causing these leaks.

is it the head gasket??

i have not replaced the cap yet, but the water level seems to get so high it come out of the over flow. but i will replace the cap and see if it helps (blue cap for a blue cap)

ok the cap didnt work, i drove round town and up the wessex way and there is no water left in the header tank. What i think is happening is the cooling system is pressurising and it is spewing out of the headr tank.

the header tank is not just low but empty

anyone got any ideas.

also if it is the head gasket how much would i be looking at (car runs completely fine, no mixing with oil and vice versa, and not much condensation out of the back) thanks in advanced

have you checked the bypass valves for the matrix?

my system was still pressurising after i changed the headgasket and it turned out to be the matrix bypass valve, if the small pipe between the valves is hot but the pipes going in and out of the matrix are cooler than the rest of the system the valves are probably knackered.