Sign in to follow this  
jackiem

thermostat

I have just bought a J reg Corrado (April 1992) G60 model. The thermostat needs replacing/fitting but I cannot locate the housing. Can anyone help me by telling me where to look?

There is a 30mm(approx) bore waterway on the front of the cylinder head. Bolted into it (not studs) at 50mm centres ( 2 bolts) is a housing 30mm bore and 95 mm deep which carries two temperature probes (blue and black connectors) and has two water outlets, one close to the Cyl head at right angles and the other a straight outlet at the end of the housing. I would like to know if this is an early version thermostat housing which has been superseded by a later one with ports for three temp probes, one possibly blanked off.

Welcome to the forum...

The stat is actually bolted to the water pump (most 4 cyl VW's are the same) - the pump is a git to get to as the charger, alternator and brackets need to come off but luckily you can do the stat from underneath by moving the power steering pump out the way (no need to disconnect)

Make sure you get a new plastic housing, seal and bolts for the stat as the plastic goes brittle and also warps with age - the same goes for the other 3 plastic parts of the cooling system, the temp sender housing, outlet on side of head and radiator elbow - it maybe worth doing all of these at the same time and fluch and change the coolant to the newer G12+ stuff... also make sure you have the newer blue expansion tank cap, black ones are known to fail.