Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Lowering G60, retaining ride quality?

I want to lower my G60 a little without buggering the ride quality.

With my mk2 golf I spent a fortune with different kits/shocks and always had a hard ride! :x I want stock-ish handling & comfort, this car is my daily driver.

I noticed Eibach sell a 'Prokit' spring set that claims not to sacrifice ride comfort, and are designed for use with standard shocks. They do drops between 25 & 40mm. Are these kits a new product? Anyone using these springs? What drop do you recommend? (I'll be using 16" wheels)

If I go for these springs, I will probably couple them with Bilstein GAS shock absorbers, which are about 5-10% uprated apparently, and I've heard good reports of these shocks used with lowering springs on mk2 golfs. Anyone use these shocks on their Corrado? Any comments?

I've just measured the current ride height as follows -

Front : 370mm n/s, 370mm o/s (newish stock springs!)

Rear : 325mm n/s, 337mm o/s (obviously sagged original springs!)

front tyre-arch gap is 80mm, which is huge! (17" wheels)

Definately will be lowering it by at least 40mm!

p.s I have a new set of Bilstein GAS shocks for a mk2 golf 16v already, will these fit the corrado? The spring plate height might be wrong but I can adjust that as the plate sits on a circlip.

thanks for any help!

ive got koni TA's and Eibach 35mm lowered and uprated springs. Excellent setup!! -would like a bit lower but konis are only rated to 35mm drop. they give excellent sharp handling whilst retaining ride quality!! 8)

ive got a 60mm drop and ride quality isnt too bad i hav been told few times that it feels like standard still

ive got a 60mm drop and ride quality isnt too bad i hav been told few times that it feels like standard still

yeah but what equipment are you using tho!

usually anything german is super firm o suit their brilliant roads!

APEX sports springs and shocks

check the gallery for pics...the pics were taken on the day it was fitted so its dropped considerably more now than the pics

I've got Bilsteins on the front and boge gas dampers on the back with terra lowering springs.Had them on the car for about five years now,and they were great at first,but now they're absolutely sh***ed!

Don't try and use standard shocks with lowering springs as this set up won't last long because of the increased wear on the dampers.

Have just ordered a new set up from C&R who recommended using VR6 springs and top mounts(mines a G60),which,although will take my car from a 40mm drop to a 30mm one,they say it will improve the handling whilst retaining a good quality ride.Haven't fitted it yet so I hope its as good as they say it is! :)

There is no way around it - if you lower the car the suspenstion travel will be reduced so you must use stiffer springs and shocks to keep the car off the bump stops. That said, some of the rates in the lowering/coilover kits are quite a lot harder than they need to be (road race spec). You may want to try a set of adjustables like the Bilstein PSS-9's on full soft and only 25-30mm drop

Skye

True, Mind you the standard rear suspension has sagged about 40mm and still rides ok, no bottoming out with a full car!

PSS-9's would be great if money no object, although I'd prob have the compression & rebound set on full soft!

I would'nt be using standard shocks, I meant a particular type of Bilstein GAS which are about 10% uprated so shouldn't hurt the ride quality so much.

Come on, somebody must be using these Eibach prokit springs!!!

Dboy, what type of eibach springs are ya running? So you still get good ride qualiy with Koni T/A's?

cheers

I had the eibach prokit springs on my car for a while but found them to harsh on the old pot holes and speed humps etc.The did improve the handling alot tho.

Dboy, what type of eibach springs are ya running? So you still get good ride qualiy with Koni T/A's

cant remember off the top of my head, i'll have a look when i get home. It was setup by AMD and yes it does give excellent ride quality and excellent sharp handling. Im very happy with it 8)

g60Jay, what shocks were you using with those? and size of wheels? They claim to retain a nice ride.

I had a look on the eibach website and was disappointed to see that they only did a 25mm drop on the Corrado(prokit springs) and only one kit was listed for 16v/g60/vr6, so I think the lowering amount is going to depend on what engine you have. The sportier spring kits didn't cater for the Corrado at all!

Dboy, where did you get your 35mm springs? what model is your C?

cheers

Dboy, where did you get your 35mm springs? what model is your C?

whole package was supplied and fitted by AMD

g60Jay, what shocks were you using with those? and size of wheels? They claim to retain a nice ride.

I was using bilstein standard gas shocks with 215 40 16 tyres on 16in rims.

Jason

I'm definately going to try Bilstein GAS shocks, just need to choose my springs.

Anyone recommend a good spring set (about 40mm) that isn't too harsh?

Anyone used Venom/Vipertech springs?

cheers

I'm running venom springs, they are very firm etc, but found the front sits lowish & the rear seemed almots standard height, thats with a 55mm drop :?

Ended up modding the rear springs :lol:

put avo coilovers on at the weekend, and is a well hard ride, think im gonna have to soften them up abit.

had German/Swedish springs on before, on the standard dampers, was a nice ride.

put avo coilovers on at the weekend, and is a well hard ride, think im gonna have to soften them up abit.

Hi James,

So you got them on then? any pics? you dropped it on the 17's...

Just adjust damping it should be ok...

yeah got them on, well low at the moment lol, will get pics tomorrow as the car is having an oil change today and they are checking for boost leaks etc.

Didn't know G&S did springs, what drop did they give mate?

Have they worn out or did you just fancy coilovers?

I once had a set of springs from EuroCP on my polo, they gave a nice ride & handling.

cheers

Andy if you read the first post by me theirs a link for james springs he's selling on ebay...

From what he said he just wanted coilovers...

Didn't see the last posts mate, you might have a buyer here!

Is the drop even front/back? Looks a nice drop at the front!

cheers