Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

Tractor sound!

I know....another problem :(

My backbox is blowing as well as having a big hole in my large intermediate silencer (new silencer £92 from Euro Car Parts, £122 for backbox....ouch) Anyway....had bonnet open earlier with engine running and it sounds like a tractor, no joke! There seems to be smoke coming from behind the engine, kind of by the bulk head....im really hoping the manifold has not got a crack in it.

Any ideas on my tractor noise? Im not saying its bad but i drove past a field today and the local farm animals looked with joy as if they were about to get fed :lol:

maybe sounds like a hole in the manifold or downpipe, or it has come loose due to rust - if you can get underneath it to have a look it should help.

If its the worst case being the manifold, as in a hole in it, what will one cost? Would a MK2 Golf GTI 16v manifold fit as i might be able to get one off e.bay?

yep, IIRC its exactly the same engine etc. best thing to do is go to gsf or somewhere and check the part numbers to see if they're the same, but when i replaced my downpipe it was a mkII golf one that they used.

Hi Mancorr,

I had the same problem on my 92 G60, turned out to be the gasket between manifold and downpipe like Slim said fingers crossed for you mate!

was caused by a dodgy front engine mount!

Dan

Whatever it is will i be ok driving, nothing will fall off will it? Got to pick my daughter up today, a 40 mile round trip......with blowing backbox, intermidiate silencer with a mahoosive hole in and something blowing from my manifold!

Try not to get disheartened by all this trouble you're having with the car mate.. stick at it.. you're just sorting the kinds of jobs that an old motor and a little neglect have caused. Once you've sorted it out it'll be so much more rewarding!