Sign in to follow this  
16vgt

gearstick freeplay

there is alot of forward/backward freeplay in the gearstick of my 89 1.8 16v. ive noticed the small circlip is also missing which stops freeplay-left to right- where can i get the circlip from??

also regarding the forward backward freeplay, can i do anythign about that- ive taken off the gaitor etc and had alook and it seem the whole gearstick and cable moves a hell of a lot before it even engaes into gear

Get the circlip from a scrapped passat of a similar age or order one from a VW dealer.

The play in the selector mechanism is pretty usual, bad design, it can be improved with a later corrado shift tower but not much, all new parts would be very expensive. Another option is the complete mk4 type cable change setup, including mk4 cables and gear lever unit, you'd need to drop the downpipe for that though.

The circlip is just an ordinary circlip and can be bought from all good motor factors for a few pence - no need to go scrabbling through a breakers yard!