Sign in to follow this  
willg95vr6

vr6 head gasket - how much does it cost for a garage to do?

How much would a straight forward headgasket cost Say a £40 per hour garage , providing nothing out of the ordinary needs doing.

i really dont have a clue and am unable to find a cost on any of the threads here.

thanks in advanced

No - you posted in the wrong place and it was moved here. Please don't create additional threads. Contact a Mod instead if you have a problem.

You're not discussing a technical issue such as how to change a HG, you're discussing how much it would cost for a garage to change it so it's a question about Suppliers rather than a technical engine issue.

HTH

The one on my car was replaced by VW, cost = £1000.

Imagine itll be a lot cheaper at a "backstreet garage" or parts only as a DIY

The trick is to get it done when you're having other headwork done, or are planning to.

I'm having my value stems and guides sorted and am obviously doing the head gasket as well. Of course, since the head is off it seems silly not to change the cams for Schrick 268's. ;)

so i reckon a good garage would charge around £600 if its £1000 at VW, may get the timing stuff doen as well

anyone know how much more that would be?

Vince at Stealth mentioned something about a deal they have for doing the clutch, timing chains, valve stems & seals and the head gasket for £1,400 + VAT, but I'd obviously check with him directly before taking that as gospel as I may have misunderstood / misremembered as he did present me with a number of options when I spoke to him.