Sign in to follow this  
Chris71

Various golfs vs Corrado

If the main emphasis is on something completely reliable, I wouldn't go for any of them tbh. Out of them all the MK 3 GTI 16v is prob the most reliable.

If the reliability is the main issue, but you still want something quick, I'd personally go for a Civic VTI (runs and hides!). I've had 2 VTI's and absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, went wrong on either. My wife also had a Civic Coupe, and that was the same.

I'd personally go for a Civic VTI

You got a hidden agenda Cazza trying to get people to defect - how many handfuls of rice a day you been promised Lol!

In a year of ownership of my VR6 corrado I ve only had to replace the water pump and cam pos sensor. This is on a 11 year old car with 150k on the clock....

A1 VR6, :lol:

I know Japanese cars don't have much soul and can be bland, but if someone wants something very, very reliable but still quick, nothing else compares in my experience. Personally, I'd much rather be driving around in a Corrado, but they are expensive to run.

steve @, my last VR was similar for around a year, then I was hit with 2 or 3 big bills in quick succession. You never know with cars of this type/age.

Still love 'em, just don't think it's the right car if someone wants total reliability.

I own/have owned Corrado VR6, Golf Mk3 VR6 & an 8v Golf Mk2 GTI.

The Mk2 GTI was built like a brick $hithouse and I found it to be a reliable car with relatively simple systems (I had an '87 with K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection). Parts are pretty cheap. It's torquey, and goes pretty well being a light car. Good steering feedback (I prefer the non-PAS Mk2), quite a chuckable and adjustable chassis.

My Mk3 VR6 would waste my Mk2 GTI in any gear, has masses of torque, but isn't particularly fun on a back road. Damping is poor, it hates potholes, bumps and cambers...

The Corrado VR6, IMO, is so much better than the Golf VR6 it's hard to come to terms with. Ride, damping, turn-in, steering feedback, adjustability, it has it all. It's great, and the only cars I've driven that were purer handlers had Lotus or Porsche badges on the back. Only problem is, I've got a FSH with my Rado, and it's cost the national debt of a small African country to maintain in top nick over the years. Panels and body parts are expensive if you shunt it as well.

TBH I'd go for a solid rust-free Mk2 GTI with sound, unworn suspension as a daily driver!

Unfortunately my Rado is proving to be an expensive car, infact every car ive owned has cost alot to maintain.

Sometimes it does make me consider selling my older cars, wondering into a car supermarket and buying a 2yr old VW diesel on finance.