Sign in to follow this  
16vgt

quick brake fluid question

No, the corrado was designed to use DOT 4, mixing the different fluids is a no no aswell, they can have a bad reaction and corrode your brake system.

Would DOT 5 be even better (if it exists :oops:)? I am going to be upgrading my brakes soon ready for a charger so would want good fluid.

Would DOT 5 be even better (if it exists :oops:)? I am going to be upgrading my brakes soon ready for a charger so would want good fluid.

DO NOT put DOT 5 in your car! It's silicon based and will make a right old mess of your brake system. You can use 5.1 but in my opinion you don't need it unless you regularly suffer from fluid fade (unusual), you're much better off sticking with DOT 4 and changing it regularly, annually is recommended, more frequent if you do track days or thrash it everywhere.

How do you go about changing it? I read in the Bently manual (i think) that you must not let the fluid reservoir become empty because a sensor or something will need to be reset and that has to be done by VW.

Does anyone know anything about this?

How do you go about changing it? I read in the Bently manual (i think) that you must not let the fluid reservoir become empty because a sensor or something will need to be reset and that has to be done by VW.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Yeah just keep topping up the reservior until the fluid starts coming out clean the other end. If you dont top up the reservoir as you do it you will get air in there anyway which will just make life harder because you will have to keep running fluid through untill all the air is out. Its best to have someone there with you to keep topping up the fluid.