Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Weird Starter

A friend of mine bought a '91 1.8 16v last week. The bodywork is spot on and the engine runs perfect when it starts !!!!!

It would turn over for a bit then nothing. Connected it up to my car with jump leads and it started. New battery/coil/starter/Ht leads/rotor arm + cap later and we still have the starting problem but have found that if you turn the key and keep it turned then 60% of the time the engine turns over and then as soon as you release the key the engine starts perfectly :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

The other 40% you turn the key and you can hear the starter click but then nothing :roll: This could be a weak battery as we keep trying to get it started :lol:

Im out of ideas atm so any help would be appreciated :D

Cheers

Well we still aren’t much closer to finding out what this is :cry: BUT I have found that if you take a cable straight from the batt + (I dont recommend trying this tbh) and touch the small + on the starter then it turns the engine over much stronger than via the key BUT (2) its still wont start til you disconnect the power while turning it over :roll: :roll:

Ive a feeling that one of the problems is not enough power getting to the starter but the battery is fully charged !!!!!

As above I think its gonna be either a relay or the ign switch so we're gonna start at the relay but I dont know which one it is :lol: Help :lol:

New battery/coil/starter/Ht leads/rotor arm + cap later

You changed all the above and didn't try an ignition switch!!!!!

Get a switch first and just plug it in and try it...

i would say ignition switch aswell when the faulty happens make sure you get at least 9v at the starter motor

I had exactly the same trouble and yes - it was the ignition switch. Apparently theres a bit of plastic on it that breaks or something.

Ive just called the dealers and a new one is £20 inc vat. Ill get Chris (who’s car it is) to pop down and get one 8)

My car does this, basically you hold the key right the way round until the iginition lights go out and it should start but all you can here is clicking from the back of the car. Eventually if you keep turning right on the pint of the last turn it will fire up eventually and work all day. It will normally be the same process the next day though.

I have changed the iginition switch, it has a new battery and a new starter motor.

Its a mystery.

Any input on my problem would be appreciated.

If you hear the starter click once it'd suggest a stuck starter solenoid. Bashing with big stick can help in an emergency!

If it clicks repeatedly, sounds like low battery.

My car does this, basically you hold the key right the way round until the iginition lights go out and it should start but all you can here is clicking from the back of the car. Eventually if you keep turning right on the pint of the last turn it will fire up eventually and work all day. It will normally be the same process the next day though.

I have changed the iginition switch, it has a new battery and a new starter motor.

Its a mystery.

I've had this same problem too - it totally does your head in!!!!

Mine seems to be sorted now but I (or rather The Phirm did) changed the battery and ignition switch, and it wasn't until I changed both the Fuel pump relay and the main control unit relay that the problem seems to have now gone. Although saying that the solinoid on my starter seems a little iffy so I'm not totally certain that its sorted - I'll give it another month or two to see if the problem rears its ugly head again, but for the past month or so now, it seems all good.

Cost about £10 a relay - I can tell you the numbers if you need to purchase them.

Other than that it could be a faulty immobiliser?

We got a new ign switch from VW yesterday and Ive just fitted it ..................... NO CHANGE still wont start from the key :roll: The starter just clicks once then nothing. Again I still dont recommend doing this but if you take a + feed straight from the batt to the starter then it will turn the car over but will not start til you pull that feed away :roll: :roll: :roll:

Is there a relay for the starter and does anyone know which one it is please :D

Its a mystery.

I've had this same problem too - it totally does your head in!!!!

Mine seems to be sorted now but I (or rather The Phirm did) changed the battery and ignition switch, and it wasn't until I changed both the Fuel pump relay and the main control unit relay that the problem seems to have now gone. Although saying that the solinoid on my starter seems a little iffy so I'm not totally certain that its sorted - I'll give it another month or two to see if the problem rears its ugly head again, but for the past month or so now, it seems all good.

Cost about £10 a relay - I can tell you the numbers if you need to purchase them.

Other than that it could be a faulty immobiliser?

I know its a right head f--k, I am going to change the fuel pump relay which I think is in position 12 and numbered 191906383C

Which one is the main control unit one ?

Cheers

Matt