Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Gonna attempt brake calipers myself

i just got back from garage, and been told the C has a siezed caliper and needs replacing, they couldn't free it, so they ordered a new one and gonna fit it on saturday

but i reckon all the calipers could do with a service of some kind and want to attempt it myself, i never done anything on a car before but really need to start in order to save me some money

so,

what tools will i need? will i need to buy some new bits before i start? do you really have to wear latex gloves? :lol:

well i want to do all of them really.

just read the guide in the knowledge base, very useful

but are there any seals or bits within the calipers i should replace?

ideally i'll paint them too

Have handy a blow torch. Heat the caliper up around the nipple this will allow it to be removed without it shearing off. If that happens your well in it :lol:

If you can rermove the nipple then no need to replace. Most high street shops will have a selection of nipples available. Take yours in and match it up.

.. Most high street shops will have a selection of nipples available. Take yours in and match it up.

:lol:

sorry that's very childish :oops:

i just got back from garage, and been told the C has a siezed caliper and needs replacing, they couldn't free it, so they ordered a new one and gonna fit it on saturday

but i reckon all the calipers could do with a service of some kind and want to attempt it myself, i never done anything on a car before but really need to start in order to save me some money

so,

what tools will i need? will i need to buy some new bits before i start? do you really have to wear latex gloves? :lol:

Not wanting to be funny, but if you have never worked on a car before, do you really think the brakes are the best place to start? :shock:

Its all very good taking the calipers off and stripping them, but if you get a seal in wrong, or don't get the system bleed properly it could be bad, VERY BAD!

Oh, and on the advice of heating it with a blow torch :x ,be VERY carefull with that cause brake fluid is flamable, also don't get it on the paintwork, cause it will strip it straight off!!!

.. Most high street shops will have a selection of nipples available. Take yours in and match it up.

:lol:

sorry that's very childish :oops:

It Is but I like you :D