Sign in to follow this  
gogs87

should i roll arches or take suspension up?

just bought some 7.5" x 16" et20 alloys but the guy who i bought the car off had it lowered 90mm all round. I tried on the back two wheels this morning and found that even without spacers i couldnt fit my finger between the arch and the tyre! i reversed out a little to see how bad it was and it was very bad, constant scraping :mad:.

Was just wondering if anyone was running this size of wheels and how much theyd lowered by, or if rolling the arches may be more cost effective? cheers

I would just get your arches rolled mate, then you wont need to worry about your tyres shredding if you go over any potholes/bumps.

is that what you have had done mate? with the wheels on it sits quite the same as yours does. Does yours rub at all?

... Does yours rub at all?

Yeah just a bit :lol: My set up is 9x16's all round. The fronts are et30 with the arches rolled and they dont catch at all. The rears are et15 and stick out a lot and i have angle grinded the lip down and resealed it and they still catch, i have had to raise it a bit. I cant take anyone in the back either at the minute.

But as yours are only 7.5 x 16 with et20 i think you should be ok if you just get them all rolled but the lower you go the more risk you will have of catching especially if you take someone in the back. If you stretch the tyres a bit as well that will help.

yeh i looked at 9x16 but glad i never bought them as theres no way they would have fitted without raising it. cheers for all the help can i just ask how much yours is lowered by?

Another good question, i have coilovers so i just winded them down until they looked about right.

From the middle of the arch to the ground though these are the measurements:

Front: 57cm

Rear: 58cm

Rob.

I would get the arches trimmed off and resealed by a body shop. I got mine done last week for £100, trouble with rolling is it might crack your paint and then you have to get your 1/4 painted, plus the Rado rear arch is double skinned which is problematic also.

Yeah i grinded my rears and resealed them because being double skinned they were bound to crack the paint if i tried rolling them. The fronts were ok rolled though.

cheers for all the help, think il go for getting them trimed if it will cost less than coilovers, like the height it sits at to. cheers guys

This sounds like it would make my Valver look sweet. However, if I "grind my rears" I don't think they'll look quite as good as yours.

Me loose on my shiny C with an angle grinder/electric sander??? can only end in tears. Any chance you could explain a bit more about what you did, how you did it, the tools you used?

At least then if I can't do it, I'll know what to ask someone at a body shop (and not look like such a complete novice)...

In the end i took it to a guys bodyshop and asked him to trim the lip down as didnt want to risk making a mess myself. He rolled it slightly and grinded away some of the lip however my tyres were still rubbing :x . That was only £80 so not to bad. I then bought some spring adjusters off the internet for only £20 and they have worked absolutely perfect. I can now easily have 3 people in the car with no rubbing at all and it still looks very low!