Sign in to follow this  
jam1n

K&N 57i Induction Kit or BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox

Hi im thinking of installing an induction kit onto (or should that be into) my 93 2 Litre 8 Valve and would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer. I would like to know if a K&N system or something similiar is suitable for my car, has anyone had any problems with them, seen any gains in power etc etc And i dont want a bigger engine right now or to drill holes into my air filter housing incase i change my mind later ty :wink:

K&N dont have a specific one on their site for the 8 valve but as iv done a bit of checking on this im fairly certain these are basically Golf Mk3 gti engines, so would one of these induction kits be suitable for my car? My engine code is 2E and i have bosch stamped onto the small box that sits ontop of the airbox with the plug going into it and i think this kit of those available for the golf gti is most likely to be suitable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=019

but like i say im far from certain and dont want to damage what is pretty much a bomb proof engine by putting an unsuitable air filter onto it.

I fully intend to install a decent cold air feed from lower bumper or wheel arch area and will make sure the induction kit has suitable heat shield from engine heat, and dont worry i dont expect huge power gains from the install, but a bit would be nice :lol:

Any help or advice will be great, thanks ben

i've always taken the approach that your better of with a better flowing, longer lasting panel filter in the air box

not sure how people here view the cone filters, but i'm not a fan

Jam1n, If you want your car to sound like a helicopter (or a 1.0 saxo - even WORSE!) and soak up engine heat thus loosing power and not fit properly then go ahead, but if you prefer the OEM look, and power with longevity then stick with a decent panel filter and put on the best exhaust system you can afford for better breathing and a better sound when the noisy pedal is pressed!

Hope this helps! :brillsmurf:

3corsameal my first plan was the fast flow filter but then found could get these kits for about a tenner more and now not so sure

L100PY_h Have you tried these kits or something similiar can u tell me if they work or if the K&N panel filter is a better option, if it is then fair enuff this is what i want to know before i spend the cash?!

Already got the stainless steel exhaust, only way "i could" improve that further is cat bypass but fairly sure my insurance would not be too impressed, that is if they find out :lol: im not too fussed what she looks like under the bonnet as long as she pulls well and iv spent quite a bit of cash on sound dampening so the noise aint going to bother me either unless it really is (saxo) bad

noisy pedal made me chuckle!

Looked bit further into this and the boys on club gti site seem to think a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox is far better investment, not as noisy with proven results, just wondering if anyone has put one of these into a C and what they thought?

Jam1n,

I have fitted K&N 57i kits to other makes of cars in the past and they usually result in the engine management light coming on, and don't pull at low revs so well!

I have experimented more with a 2.5 V6 vauxhall engine and a panel filter with air box mods made 3bhp more than a K&N as well as looking and sounding better!

Can't comment on the BMC CDA but have heard only good things, and since you already have an exhaust to help breathing, you're following the right track for better power!!

Regarding the cat bypass, a more sensible option (IMO) is a high flow cat so you don't have to remove it each time Mr MOT man wants his £50!!!

Hope you get the desired results, whichever you choose....

Cheers for your thoughts ppl, i have sent stealth an email asking them to look into organising a BMC CDA for my car as they dont actually make a specific one for the 8v rado, but it would appear that it is possible to sort one from a golf gti kit with one or two minor adjustments. So il be looking forward to hearing from them. Think this is prob much better idea than the cone filter,

and L100py_H all depends how friendly you are with Mr MOT :wink:

thanks again for your advice!