Sign in to follow this  
Adam Darby

fuel pump

hi i have a 1990 1.8 16v corrado need some info on the fuel pump its started to make a loud continuous buzzing noise. Does anybody no what this means, and does anybody no how many fuel pumps it has, i heard that it has an intank one and another main fuel pump, and that the main one normally starts buzzing wen the intank one fails because its workin to hard?

Does the car still turn over? Does the buzzing sound like the normal fuel pump prime of about 5 seconds? Are the corrado 16v's electronic fuel injection?

I had a Digifant ECU go on my old mk2 8v golf. The symptoms included the fuel pump continuously running (like the prime sound but didn't stop) and the injectors staying open, resulting in the filling with fuel and the engine locking up. :shock: Not exactly a safe state if the ECU does fail!

Only cure was a new ECU. If yours is Digifant controlled, make sure all the earth straps are in top condition. If the starter motor can't earth through the chassis, it earths through the ECU and that's game over. Found that out changing a gearbox and not tightening the strap up properly! :oops:

yes the car still turn's over, it makes a similar noise to the fuel pump prime but not as loud. the corrado is electronicaly fuel injected it use's a bosh K-tronic system.

Don't know then mate, although I thought the K-jetronic system was mechanical. Do you have five fuel pipes going to the top of the air box? If so its mechanical fuel injection, there is an air flow 'flap' in the lid of the box which changes the fuelling to the injectors depending on the air flow. I also had a '89 mk2 16v golf with the K-jetronic.

The only pumps I remember (stripped the car after writing it off) are the in-tank one and I think there was one with the fuel filter on the rear drivers side of the car.

Sounds like the intank one has died.

You probably have poor performance if you rev the car hard, as the main pump cannot keep up with the demand made on it.

A new one is pretty cheap and easy to change. Access is in the boot, 3 screws hold on the access panel and there is a big plastic looking nut you need to turn( hammer and punch?). The pump is connected to the fuel gauge sender etc. I can't remember if it just pulls out or not. There are a couple of pipes that you need to disconnect too. Note the colours and where they come off.

Gavin

yes the car still turn's over, it makes a similar noise to the fuel pump prime but not as loud. the corrado is electronicaly fuel injected it use's a bosh K-tronic system.

the 1.8 16v's were mechanical fuel injection and the 2.0 16v's were part/all electronic fuel injection :wink:

I had a similar thing with my valver. There are two pumps, one in the tank and the other hung off the rear right floor pan next to the filter so it could be either of them causing the problem. My external pump was always noisy but eventually got louder and eventually became intermittent with total loss of engine power (not much fun when going quick in the fast lane) The new one runs much more quietly although is still quite auduble.

Just my 2p

Which fuel pump is it tha you have got. I will find out if it wil fit.cheers

pretty sure it won't fit...........as there is a different part number for the G60 one.......though the one Joe M has should fit as it has the same part number for both 16valvers