Sign in to follow this  
RamG60

G60 charging issues

Hi all,

Just picked up my G60 and there is a problem with battery charging.

The alternator and battery have both been replaced today with new parts. Tested with a voltmeter and the alternator is not charging the battery.

Anyone experienced this or got any suggestions as to what it might be!!

Cheers in advance

Rams

i have this problem too, my solution is to blip the throttle over three grand and that usually get sthe alternator charging, i have a few mates who own G60s and mk2s that have this problem .hope u get it sorted keep us informed

cheers

thanks for reply, we did rev the engine past 3000 rpm, but still the alternator was not charging the battery. I used to own a vr6 corrado many years ago and from memory could my issue be related to a relay or breakdown in wiring somewhere.... the obvious wiring looks good, it was raining and dark..... Managed to get the car home on the juice of the new battery!

the alternator is new, is this what you are refering to?it literally got put on today as that was my obvious starting point as to why the battery wasnt getting charged..... then went to halfords and changed the battery as the previous one was old and still no joy.

there's a thin blue wire that goes from the alternator down towards the starter motor where it goes into a connector on another blue wire... check this is connected properly and not broken else the car won't charge from the alternator... ;)

is the battery lamp working on the dash?

check your getting around 14v at the alternator (main wire), then around 14v at the starter motor then on to the battery

thanks all, it was the wire that should have been connected to the starter motor, hence we now have a complete circuit and my old alternator probably was fine. May aswell leave the new 1 on now. Shes charging!! lol. the head has had work and the new mechanic said the wires were not neatly fitted by the previous mechanic but all tidy now and connected. cheers