Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Trade Car Insurance....??????

Insurance is up for renewal very shortly... and due to the fact of the amount of cars I have, I think its best to get Trade Insurance...

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is it expensive?

Any help guys.... :)

Speak to your insurance company, they should insure at hardly any extra cost. Ive been in the trade for 7years, i was told id get a good deal on a traders policy when i turned 25 (lastyear) but it wasnt even worth it in the end anyway.

You should be able to just get a blanket policy as long as no one else is driving your cars.

Speak to your insurance company, they should insure at hardly any extra cost. Ive been in the trade for 7years, i was told id get a good deal on a traders policy when i turned 25 (lastyear) but it wasnt even worth it in the end anyway.

You should be able to just get a blanket policy as long as no one else is driving your cars.

Well I'm currently with Norwich Union and they dont offer such facility, they've told me I've got to insure each car individually :?

Norwich are shiiiiiiite, thats why!

Most insurance companies will specialize (trade or performance or general etc) u'll be in a position to negoatiate big time when your policy is at it reneal date. Good luck.

Coversure are pretty good. Try a company in yellow pages that specifically markets traders policies - cos theyll know more about insuring 2+ cars and prob offer a better deal even if its not a traders policy that would suit you.

Well if it helps...

I think there's provision for a 'group' policy, or fleet insurance. As you're not a Trader, you're technically invalidating it by claiming that you are...

But having said that, I've found smaller companies are more willing to bend things.

Edit :

And the cover will differ greatly. Mine covers me as long as it's not in my name, or in company name, and is put through the books.

Well I do chop and change my vehicles regular.... so I supose I could tell them I buy and sell...????

See as I'm thinking about adding another edition to the car family.... I need them all insured really.. at least for the next 6months.... :)

One of the other 'issues' you might come across is that they won't cover you fully comp when the vehicle isn't attended, unless it's on commercial premises.

Tbh, it varies between companies what qualifies as a 'trader'. I don't think Tradex'll have it, but a friend of mine's done it with Catteralls, and as far as I'm aware, has had no problem.

Afaik, I don't think they require any books, just a percentage of cars you trade in that are sports/performance.

Beware though, they're expert at wriggling out of stuff, and they'll put the premium through the roof if you do. If I was feeling cynical, I'd say that it's cover for the letter of the law, not the spirit ;-)