Sign in to follow this  
Laughingboy

Before you chuck ya rear calipers...

just digging this up as i've got some rear calipers now to rebuild.

the bit that has a spring on the caliper, is this the handbrake mech, does the lever come totally out? i can get it out about 1cm but no more.

also i didn't know the main piston is screwed in, i've tried to pull it out, its about halfway out now.

do i need a special tool?

you'll need a caliper windback tool. I got one from tooled up via amazon the other day for around £15.

you can remove the piston by cranking the handbrake lever, the piston moves out on a ratchet system, the tool is just for winding them back in.

i was twisting that by hand and it just moved out a tiny amount, then back in.............just a tiny amount

i take it they can't be blown out with an airline then? are the pistons actually attached to something?

same with the lever bit that spins for handbrake, does that pull out?

yeah they can be blown out with an airline if you are careful, did you make sure you moved the handbrake lever all the way to its limit and all the way back each time?

the piston sits over a spiral shaped bar which will allow it to move out in a straight line but will only return by turning it as its pushed back.

not the lever on car as i bought them second hand, i'll try playing with the lever on caliper again.

i got one piston half out by levering it out with a spanner, but it only went halfway

i've just had a thought, wouldn't i be better off exchanging my old calipers for new ones, saves alot of time i spose.

i have 4 rear calipers now :( as i bought a pair to refurb i should of thought of this

If it helps Jim, you can get the rewind tool out of Halfords for around £10 to £12. its labelled as a rewind tool by draper. I remove the pistons with a foot pump and an old bleed nipple from a late spec mk1 golf cabrio. the bleed nipple is massive and fits into the hose line hole. you then just pop it on the floor and pump, then hey presto... piston out! easy peasy :norty:

Edited to say, checked etka and I can't find that bleed nipple... wondering myself now where it came from!

not the lever on car as i bought them second hand, i'll try playing with the lever on caliper again.

i got one piston half out by levering it out with a spanner, but it only went halfway

you might damage the thread on the piston or the pin it threads onto if you lever them out. just twist them anti-clockwise when they start to get loose.

If it helps Jim, you can get the rewind tool out of Halfords for around £10 to £12. its labelled as a rewind tool by draper. I remove the pistons with a foot pump and an old bleed nipple from a late spec mk1 golf cabrio. the bleed nipple is massive and fits into the hose line hole. you then just pop it on the floor and pump, then hey presto... piston out! easy peasy :norty:

Edited to say, checked etka and I can't find that bleed nipple... wondering myself now where it came from!

do you know if this works on fronts? i need to replace the seals on my 280s.

Yep, rebuilt my two sets of mk1 girling calipers this way. compressed air would be best but the foot pump is a lot more gentle with less risk of firing pistons around the garage! :norty: