Sign in to follow this  
dubbprince

HELP!!! LIGHTS STAY ON..

ok here goes:

in the past week i've resoldered all electric window and sunroof switches with bright blue LED's with inline resistors, instead of the green 3mm LED's it should have already.

Along with the above i also removed the bulb holders behind the dials 5 in total! and resoldered those red and blue with resistors too...same goes with the bulb behind the Fog, heated screen and heater section!

Basically all dash lights are blue and the only thing that is red is the MFA readouts!

i did have a go at the headlamp switcher, by also trying to place a blue led and resistor in.

NOW...when i connect up the headlamp switcher, and turn ignition on with switch off...the dash lighting all comes on!

so the clocks, heater section all light up when switcher is off! during daylight!

WHAT COULD BE WRONG? :?

It sounds like you've damaged the H/L switch or soldered the LED in the light switch in the wrong place... If they're lighting up, then the odds are that you've got the bulbs replacement part right. Something is wrong with the switch for sure... Open it back up and see if there's anything shorting inside it...

Good luck!

i thought so...i tried putting the blue LED with resistor in place and foudn out i got it the wrong way round, so i thought i'd just put a red 12V one in..makes it easier.

then it just wouldn't turn on the red LED unless i switched it to full beam..which i think is right.

Anyway the solder must of come off cos it stoppped working after a few minutes.

I opened it up again to find it had come off...so i tried re-soldering it again. I think i solderied it to closely to another metal connector..thus shorting it.

So...HAS ANYONE GOT A SPARE HEADLAMP SWITCHER (EARLY TYPE) AND ALSO A SPARE FOG SWITCH!

need these THIS WEEK! as car goes on road friday...please help!

p.s. are the leccy window, spoiler switches menna come on with no dash lighting on?

p.s. are the leccy window, spoiler switches menna come on with no dash lighting on?

I think that the windows, spoiler, sunroof and headlamp switches light up when the ignition is on...

The window switches stay lit while the windows are enabled

(ie they stay on until the drivers door is opened and closed... you know what I mean :roll: :lol:)

Can't help with the spare switches though...

Is the spoiler switch illuminated? I've never seen mine light up in over 4 years and given its location and function I just assumed VW didn't bother. If it is, then my bulb's gone, but thought I'd check before taking it apart.

Cheers,

David

no mate..the spoiler switch doesn't light up along with the old joystick type mirror controller...electric also!

thanks for ya input henny...that helped me figure it out.