Sign in to follow this  
efil4sbuD

Modding my VR6 - your opinions?

Hmm, i'm now starting to think maybe i shouldn't go so big.

I don't mind a bit of hardness tbh, but a bit of comfort as i get older isn't a bad thing either.

local meet is at thwaite, 3rd sunday of every month - google "dubsuffolk"

not been yet, but signed up on the site - check it out

Yeah, i've been a few times including a 'Christmas special' when only me and a couple turned up :roll: It's a bit far to go when nobody else bothers.

I've been thinking about the meet at the Douglas Bader in Martlesham but i'm not sure when that is. I'll make it some day soon.

Well, i haven't been on here for a while. I've been quite busy as you can see below.

I finally got my wheels this week. I had to wait for them to be made in Germany but they turned up this week at last. While i was waiting i busied myself with the new suspension and bushes, experimented with various lighting including Angel eyes and clear indicators and fog lamps.

I thought the Angel eyes and the clear indicators looked a bit too sparkly on a black car so i experimented with black tape on the headlight reflectors just to get an idea of how they'd look had i have bought the black version. They looked ok but then i stumbled on some light smoke tinting film and covered both the headlights and indicator/fogs with this. It just takes the edge off them.

Here they are standard

inters032.jpg

And here they are fitted with the tint film

Newwheels4.jpg

Unfortunately i didn't take any pictures of them on the car as standard nor with the tape on but i think they look better as they are.

The suspension are Weitec coilovers

Coilies001.jpg

and a before and after shot of original suspension and orginal wheels then coilovers and new wheels.

Rado2.jpg

Newwheels1.jpg

Newwheels6.jpg

I welcome your views, let me know what you think.

At first i was not sure if i liked them as they stick out a little due to being 8J as opposed to the original 6.5J and an offset of 38 instead of 43. You only notice it when looking down the side, you can just see it in the first shot but from side on i don't think it shows.

When buying these i only considered the offset in relation to whether there was enough room for the wheel to turn left to right and completely forgot about caliper clearance. It turned out that they fouled on the pad carriers. I nearly cried and after a few minutes of various scenarios going through my head like spacers (would have made them stick out even further) and machining the inside of the spokes for clearance ( i have a friend who can do this but not what i wanted to do to a new set of wheels), i eventually decided to get the grinder out and grind out some material from the carrier itself. It's a tight fit but i'm hoping i have the problem solved.

The wheels are ASA AR1 Schwartz frontpoliert (black polished front - actually diamond turned) 17 x 8.

The tyres are Dunlop SP maxx 215/40/17. They feel so much better than the old tyres - though they had become slicks! They didn't give a lot of grip in the wet conditions we've had but i had hoped to be shot of them almost 2 months ago but had to wait for the new ones. It's a good job i wasn't stopped in that time.

There are some other, minor things still to do and of course there are the rust spots to be sorted but they'll have to wait for a while now.

I'll get some more pictures up soon.