Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

CONVERTING 5 STUD TO 4 STUD ish !!!

Ive used the search guys and found plenty of information, but its all for converting a 4 stud car to 5 stud not the other way round !!! I just want to check what im planning on doing will work !!

Ive put a thread in the engine bay section but its not getting much in the way of replies, my main Q's are in the drivetrain area anyway, ill write them below.

My car is a VR6 so its obviously running VR front suspenstion, subframes etc, the engine im goin to fit is a 4cylinder TFSI from a Golf 5 so i know im gonna need a 4 cylinder gearbox and rear subframe along with 4 cyl rear engine mounts (or are VR mounts the same?). However i dont want to use the rest of the 4 stud running gear (wishbones, hubs etc) as the car will run a narrower track etc, can i simply bolt the VR suspension arms, roll bar, rack etc to the 4cyl rear subframe then use the longer VR driveshafts in the 4cyl gearbox?I hope so as all the parts on my car are brand new and i dont wanna replace them with new 16v bits if i can help it !!

Chers jimmi........................

I did a 5 to 4 conversion 6 months ago. Wishbone to subframe is fine for all types i think. The only thing to look out for is only 4 stud bearing housings connect up right to narrow wishbones. I connected vr6 hubs to narrow wishbones and the wheel sat about an inch forward in the arch. In reality vr corrado wishbones move the bottom ball joint forward but the bearing housing moves it back The same amount if that makes sense. Your only option to maintain a wide track is a hub swap only. It all still mates to the vr cv joint and keeps brakes and stuff

BC