Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Does this set up sound good to you?

:lol: i'll do it myself for the rates you charge :lol:

I can't wait to get it all installed :D

Just bear in mind the Genny subs are 8 ohm, so you will need t owire them in Paralell to show the amp a 4 ohm load, then bridge them over the rear channels of your amp so they get the full 280Watts up 'em.. :)

Have you got a drawing I could look at to explain what you mean?

You have lost me!

Have you got a drawing I could look at to explain what you mean?

You have lost me!

OK, hope this makes sense. Front two channels of the amp go to the corssovers for the Genny components, then you wire each Genny speaker to the right part of hte crossovers. For the subs, you wire the +ve coonection for rear left of the amp to the +ve on BOTH subs, then the -ve rear right channel on the amp to the -ve on BOTH subs. This bridges the amp ( only using one output from two amp channels, and puts the correct laod on the amp.

I've got it, thanks.

I suppose that would mean the subs would be in mono and not stereo but i don't suppose that matters with bass because it isn't directional?

I haven't sorted out the system in this car yet as I've been blowing lots of money on other stuff. I have upgraded the headunit to a Pioneer (mainly for the bluetooth car kit to avoid the points) and it's a hell of lot better than my original, although that didn't take much. I've had a Pioneer before and reckon the sound's much better than Sony ones I've had.

In my last golf I did my own install with upgraded components all round, 2 10" subs and 4 6x9s on the parcel shelf (home made) with 3 amps. Sounded awesome but could only listen to it at about 1/3rd volume. Personally I'm not than keen on the stealth shelves, ok for some stuff but not sure if they're heavy enough to take the power some people want to put through them.

From reading other threads here it would appear the best way to get a good sound is to concentrate on some really good front components and a sub for the base, and then just use the 6x4s as a fill in. Any comments from you guys?

Sony car stereo stuff is generally poor, personally I like Pioneer or JVC but its very much personal preference.

As for other equipment it very much depends what you want as the final result. For pure sound quality most people use high quality 2 or 3 way front components and one 10 or 12 inch sub. The old addage is 10% equipment 90% installation, so lots of care, lots of sound deadening etc.

If you looking for street bass i.e. lots of bass, lots of volume, then the sky is the limit on amp ower and subs, depending really on how much space you want to use up.

Most people dont use 6x9's apart from the Genesis subs which are niche market. If you have a sub in the boot, the bass from the sub will distort / interfere wit hthe 6x9 in the parcel shelf. The majority of the sound off competition cars do not use any rear fill speakers at all, but it doesnt hurt to leave them connected to the head unit for your passengers if you want to and your not competing.

The biggest improvements are through sound deadening, sealing and good installation of front speakers though, and correctly designed and built sub boxes.

Mark

Just a quick update.

I spent the morning feeding the amp power cable through the car, it wasn't easy and i now have scars to prove it :lol:

The muppets at audio acoustics delievered the wrong parcel shelf yesterday so thats put a delay on my progress :mad:

But I ordered the genesis components and subs yesterday so they should hopefully come sometime next week :)

I might even pull a sicky if all the bits arrive next week :evil: