Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

diaghram pressure switch + poor cold running

2 probems (1.8 16V) -

1) My car was running bad - when revving quite hard and then slowing down the car would hesitate and run very rough. At standstill, i hold the revs at say 2500 rpm and the revs would go up and down by itself. Give it another bit of a rev and it eventually sorted itselfout.

I noticed an elbow pipe was split, the one which goes on the diaghram pressure switch. Before i renewed it i tried running it with the pipe off and it runs fine :? Ive been running it like that for a while now,but the pipe is a bit dirty with muck inside so dont think its right.

Looked in the haynes, did the test on the DPS and the overrun cut off and both seem fine

2) My car also runs like complete crap when cold. Takes ages for revs to catch up with your foot and runs very rough. She used to run like a dream even when cold :(

Been told it could be leads or similar, rotor arm and dizzy look ok, plugs fairly new and look good. Hope this problem is connected with the first

Anyone got any ideas, my cars doing my head in!

Cheers, Rob

Not too sure what the DPS is??

But try a search on here for the ISV - common K-Jet problem.

When you say it takes ages for the revs to catch up with your foot, do you mean it splutters when accelerated (sometimes trying to die) - but only for a minute or so when cold? check all the vacuum pipes are attached and in one piece.

Cold start valve problems could also impair cold starts...

Cheers for reply matey :)

DPS=diaghram pressure switch, just me being lazy!

Yeah it splutters and and is really lumpy/unsmoothe. Doesn't ever fell like its going to stall and i have no problems starting the car. It takes about 10-15mins for it to sort itself properly