Sign in to follow this  
Dec

02j Gearbox puzzle!

Just before I left to go to the dealers to fork out some extortionate amount for some 100mm driveshaft flanges to replace the 108mm ones currently on my new 02j gearbox I decided to double check the part no.s that I needed!

Standard 1990 100mm Corrado driveshaft flanges are: 02A 405 355D

Mk4 GTi Golf ones that I have on the new box are: 02A 409 355G

But I was amazed when looking through the different types of flanges for 02j boxes that a number of them had '02A' prefixes! And the 100mm ones I was looking for were actually the same part number as the the original ones on my old Standard Corrado box! They are mounted with a hex bolt (which I can take off the new box anyway)...but I assume that seen as the part numbers are identical the driveshaft flanges are transferable after all?

Pic of 02j box:

yeah, that's what I was told a while back....apparently early 02j boxes also used 100m flanges. And according to the part numbers......they were the 100mm 02a flanges standard on Corrados!?

...early 02j boxes also used 100m flanges...

:shock: :lol:

doesn't surprise me that many components are interchangeable or used on later boxes, VW do tend to evolve things and reuse stuff that will do the job wherever possible. Loads of the shift towers of different designs seem interchangeable too, would like a mk4 one on my 02A.

yeah! the 2004 New beetle lists the two part numbers I've put up above, and only those two part numbers! :shock: