Sign in to follow this  
foxhound81

Time for a new exhaust

Well,

It's time to replace the entire exhaust, everything after the cat to the muffler. Any suggestions on a nice sounding exhaust kit? I don't wanna sound like a damn honda, something not too loud. Don't want the neighbors thinking i'm riding my dirt bike everytime i go to work.

Yea...i wanted to ask the same question myself...The person i bought my Corrado from had put a freaking flowmaster truck exhaust on it....It sounds pathetic....Im looking for something that doesnt sound stock, but isnt audible from a mile away when you put your foot down...Does anyone know of any websites that allow you to listen to exhausts online?

Supersprint exhaust is a nice quiet uprated exhaust but if you take the intake cone out of the air filter box you get a seriously meaty noise! The cone is designed to slide out just a bit stiff

Bonus about the mod is if it gets too much just put the cone back in!

Milltek do a good one from what ive heard fancy having a look at the group buy might be just what u need

Does anyone know of any websites that allow you to listen to exhausts online

Listening to in on a pc speaker is totally different to real life.

Listening to in on a pc speaker is totally different to real life.

Yeah, it also depends on the soundcard you are listening to it on...

Trust me, at work we spend £1000+ PER soundcard and £1000 PER SPEAKER for the production guys so that they can hear EVERY detail in their audio... :shock:

I didn't think that you'd be able to hear the difference from a reasonable £300 set up very much, but BOY was I wrong... :shock: :roll: :lol:

I now run a pretty damn good soundcard and Technics AA class amp + good speakers at home on my PC 'cos I've got picky as to what I listen to... :?

What I'm trying to say (badly due to drink! :roll: ) is that any exhaust sound you could record is just an interpretation of what it could sound like... You'd have to match speakers, amp, microphone, car, engine, conditions etc etc etc to be able to say "this is what your exhaust will sound like..."

Not many exhaust manufacturers would be able to afford to fit a system to every make of car and then record the noise they make... It's a nice thought, but pretty much impossible... :?

Milltek do a good one from what ive heard fancy having a look at the group buy might be just what u need

pity that whatever saving they'd make with the group buy would be lost with shipping and import costs :roll: .......though i think Milltek is available over the pond :?

Can anyone suggest a specific exhaust that is slightly louder than a stock muffler when you gas it...something low sounding...but when your not on the gas, is pretty quiet.....Im looking for something that doesnt make people turn around and say "What the hell is that noise" but is different than every other car out there..

I fitted a magnex ss exhaust recently to my VR6 and the diifference to standard is hardy noticable (maybe just a bit louder) it was fitted in 15 minutes too inc taking the old one off. That was working from the floor in my garage.

i'll second that was never a fan of magnex untill i had a go in vr6 with a full magnex exhaust on it sounded lovely really throaty but not over the top just mho :D

I just added a Supersprint Exhaust a few weeks back. Its low noise and sounds really good. I am running a straight pipe out from the Cat into the backbox (muffler) itself. I removed the suitcase or turtle muffler and and am happy all the way around. If you havent opened up the air box yet, by all means do that too when you do the exhaust you will not only see some performance gains but it will sound just a little "meaner" :twisted: than it did prior.

I can record the sound of my supersprint system for you guys tomorrow if you whant....

//Norbert