Sign in to follow this  
BurntOut

Spark Plug Removal ???

Jus wondering if anyone can help me out in this department,

My 94 vr6 is not runnin correctly, its of one maybe 2 cyclinders.

When running the engine, if i remove the spark plug lead one by one (putting them back on before taking another one of, of course), 3/4 of them result in def engine drop, but on 1 there is jus a slight change on and on another there is no change, so i might be thinkin faulty spark plug??? However all of the lead spark ok,

My next query is can i replace the plug without dismantling everythin, i'm not very gd at car mechanics, dont mind working at my fireblade but do hav a haynes to help.

Does this plastic plug removal thing remove the leads and the plug or os it just to get the leads off, and also when u r screwing them bck on do they eventually stop/lock, or do they jus go so far??

Sorry all this prob sounds daft to some of u but i aint got a clue, but wud like to try some work out myself.

Thanx if u can help!!

the plastic lead removal tool brings out the plug only. you will need a sticky finger or an extendable magnet once the plug has been unscrewed.

the leads just push back on.

but be wary of teh plug removing tool. it has a tendancy to snap.

I bought a spark plug socket that has a foam tube inside so it grabs the plug but still has enough flex to let the socket get to the plug hex. Good idea me thinks. works good.

BC

The plastic lead removing tool does just that, it removes (and repositions) the lead, not the plug.

In my experience the plastic tool is total cr@p as the lugs break off - you would do well to invest in the Hazet metal tool from that nice Mr. VAG.

The plug is removed and replaced with a plug socket and extension bar. Don't over tighten; the head is aluminium so fairly easy to strip the thread if you go mad with a long socket drive handle. And be careful not to cross-thread the plugs.

On a safety note, it's best not to take HT leads off with the engine running; a 30kV shock will make your eyes water (rather like Michael Gambon but for a different reason) and the bonnet latches will make a mess of your scalp as you involuntarily jump up.

Best wishes

RB

Maybe he was using insulated pliers? I have a pair in my box but as it's 2 steps to go and get them, I always use my hand...... With obvious results. :roll: :shocked!:

When you say it's not running correctly, does it rev cleanly or is it miss-firing? Could be the coil pack if it has one or maybe an injector?

Gavin

goto the Group buy section, and Z... (name begins with Z) is selling the metal lead removal tools, they are well worth the cash.

they remove, and relocate the lead (especially handing for getting the fella back on snug)

edit: Zerocool is the fella, link -> clicky