Sign in to follow this  
dukest

electrics playing up after sunroof conked out?? any ideas?!

Well, having been lulled into a false sense of security by my perfectly functioning car, I opened the sunroof all the way yesterday and, when I got on to the motorway and came to close it, surprise, it woudn't.. :roll:

So, i left it for the night (luckily dry) as i didnt know how to manually close it. But when i got in it this morning and after I'd wound it back with the allen key I realised that:

a) the interior lights dont work any more,

b) the MFA loses all its data when the ignition is switched off (but mileage is retained), and

c) the alarm doesn't self arm any more..

I checked the connection on the interior lights and it is all ok so I'm thinking perhaps there is some kind of fuse that might have been affected by the sunroof failing?? Could that have a relationship with the ignition-off power?

I don't have the book with me at the moment to check which fuse is which but does anyone know what to make of this?

oh, and if the sunroof motor clicks but does not function now, do i need a new one??!

thanks in advance! :)

thanks Supercharged, when i get home i'll look them all up and see where i get to.. guess even if they're not related issues then the C's so idiosyncratic it could be anything!

got the same prob almost..sunroof which also happens to use the same fuse as the spoiler has now blown two fuses...its off to the vw boys to take a look next week.

got the same prob almost..sunroof which also happens to use the same fuse as the spoiler has now blown two fuses..

Hi

Was it fuse 16 ?

Look forward to the vw boys diagnosis.

I reckon it is the spoiler blowing the fuse.

Could it be a bad earth at the battery affecting a few systems at once?

BTW, my window motor used to click and not work. It turned out to be full of rust. That may also explain blown fuses if there is dampness in the wires.

Well...christ knows.

Took it to audi/vw in melksham yesterday picked it up this afternoon and they couldn't find a fault anywhere. Tried allsorts to get the fuse to blow again but the bloody thing wouldn't!!!.

So back to square one I think. Still at least I got a free fuse out of it!!..lol

well, finally got to having a look at mine tonight with the fuse list..

turns out that fuse 21 has blown which controls interior lighting, MFA etc.

given that lighting is related to door closure etc that would explain the alarm playing up. given that the sunroof is controlled from the interior light panel there's obviously another link there..

however, tried to put a replacement fuse in and it blew immediately before i could even push it home. ignition was off..

so, do i have to get this checked out with VW now or can someone else cheaper look at it for me? obviously at the end of it all i'd like the sunroof working again but the rest of the electrics getting sorted is higher up the list...

cheers!

john

If it blows imediatly then you have a short somewhere...

Have a look at whats on that circuit and look at / unplug devices to find the culprit...