Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Aircon Dilemma?

Here's the situation;

VR Rado with Aircon thats not worked since I bought it 1yr 1/2 ago.

9 months ago I got it regassed and the pressure was fine (and held) but the compressor wouldn't kick in. The aircon guy said it was either the compressor itself or possibly the wiring.

Now I can live without aircon, I've never had it before (working anyway!) in any car I've owned. My dilemma is whether or not I should take all the aircon bits out as all it's doing is adding weight etc, or try and get it repaired at an unknown cost. (how much would a new compressor be if its that!)

What do you think? It's not exactly common on Rados so would I be any idiot to get rid of it or is it a waste of time?

Also, if its all taken out, do I have to replace anything other than the aux belt?

Cheers!

Im approaching a smiliar crossroads myself..

I know that all the major components of my system work and have problems with relays..

If you do take it all out id be interested in taking it off your hands to see if i can get mine to work reliably...

Save it deffo!

It will most likely be a relay issue - remember they were all dealer fit over here and some i've seen are a real bodge!

some i've seen are a real bodge!

That sounds like mine...

Can anyone recommend anywhere that can sort them out, tidy up the install and get them running properly???

Would keep the aircon, as it's quite special to have in a C.

During last year's heatwave, mine packed up, typical. Fortunately it was only the condenser, which, once sourced in Germany (then turned out I also needed a new rad, again sourced in Germany, as the rad for aircon G60s is pretty much the largest rad ever used in a C, larger than even the VR6 rad), the job was a DIY-task. Regassed and converted to R134a and we're cool again :-)

Tempest