Sign in to follow this  
STUMACG60

G60 recirculation???

Hi

New to G60 rado ownership.

The motor has had the recirc system removed in favour of the charger blanking cap and cam cover breather filter fitted by the previous owner(s). I noticed that on the throttle body there has been a hose cut off (positioned at the rear pointing down) and is spilling a large volume of air. I presume this is the recirc supply when fitted and is fine venting to atmosphere??

The engine is showing a low boost at 1450-1500 max when testing and I am looking at getting a health check done with possibilities leading to charger reconditioning. Just wanting o check that the throttlebody hose isnt related to this in some way.

Thanks

Stu

That tube is where the unused boost comes out of and gives you that whoooosh sound, it's fine venting it to the atmosphere, it shouldn't be vent out air all the time though, check that the valve shuts on full throttle and that the linkage controlling it is moving correctly. If they're really your max boost readings that means it's running at about 7 Psi! Which is about half what it should be for a standard charger! I would check for a rather large air leak first.

Cheers Jonny,

Mine`s is doing it ALL the time, naturally more on higher revs. Could it be something stuck open. The charger was recon + stg 4 20k ago by JMR didnt think it was low due to charger being knacked!!!

Any advice fella`s?

Cheers guys

Stu

low numbers arent always leaks. If you have a flowed head you will see lower boost numbers due to better flow and less restriction.

The recirc only shuts at full throttle so you will hear it leaking until the pedal hits the floor completely

Good point flusted, are you sure that's the max reading you have? Might also be worth checking the reading at idle, should be about 520 and 700 that'll fluctuate with the idle.

my boost gauge only reads approx 14psi with 65mm pulley at 6k but i have a piper cam and flowed inlet etc.

pressure builds up when you have a restriction, that boost test is only really suitable for standard cars

Thanks guys,

Started at 550 and went down to between 450-500 within 30 secs of starting!!!

Its got a FMIC and Rallye U bend, dont think it has had the head flowed. I believe this is a previous forum members car Dave (M3 Evo). I bought it of a guy called Alex, he didn`t own it long at all.

The flow from the throttlebody recirc is quite a lot, more than I would have expected. Although I am no G60 expert!!!

Cheers Stu

in theory its boosting on tickover, just its comin out that recirc.

Im sure you have nothing to worry about

Cheers Flusted,

Thanks for the advice mate,

Gonna give it a thorough service then book it into G-werks for a health check/charger recon if needed!!! My missus has an a3 1.8T standard and it wasn`t as quick in top from 50-90 in top gear as her`s she pulled away slightly and I know that hers has a blowing exhaust. Its a bit of a travel down to G-werks, so may as well get the chip and pulley as well for the hassle:D and make the journey worth while. Looking forward to the journey home!!!

Cheers Stu

Cheers Flusted,

Thanks for the advice mate,

Gonna give it a thorough service then book it into G-werks for a health check/charger recon if needed!!! My missus has an a3 1.8T standard and it wasn`t as quick in top from 50-90 in top gear as her`s she pulled away slightly and I know that hers has a blowing exhaust. Its a bit of a travel down to G-werks, so may as well get the chip and pulley as well for the hassle:D and make the journey worth while. Looking forward to the journey home!!!

Cheers Stu

Hi

Thanks for the advice, Today while checking the recirc blow off from the throttle body I noticed that the rubber hose coming from the ISV was perched on the exhaust manifold and happily melting away!!! Its been like this for some time as its burnt completely through it in several places :( . Could someone tell me where it should attach on the throttlebody/inlet manifold. Tried looking but the engne is still fecking hot from earlier and cant get near it to look.

Thanks Stu