Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

Newb in need of purchasing help

i have the buying guide from here but i was wondering what do i need to look for that the previous owners have replaced cv joints etc?

im looking at a g60 so aside from the obvious supercharger (also how long are these good for and rebuilt ones?) what should i expect, and see to be changed/replaced? what kind of milage are belts, joints, suspenson etc good for?

what commonly goes engine wise?

thanks

Hi mate. I'm not to hot (read not at all) on the G60 thing, but i think new chargers are good for 40,000 miles then they need a rebuild. I'd look for evidence (receipts as proof) of a recent charger rebuild/replacement along with the belt being changed. I'm sure the belt would be changed as a matter of course during a rebulid anyway, but again, receipts are you're friend.

Take a look on the G-Werks website as these guys have nothing but praise showered on them from all the G60 boys and girls on here. They are the supercharger guru's and are very helpful and approachable.

With everything else just do the basic checks when test driving. Does the suspension seem soft? Does the steering feel positive? Is there any knocking or clunking? Drive the car in both left and right circles slowly to check if the drive shafts knock. Also drive along a bumpy road. This will highlight any clunking from top mounts, bushes etc. My rado drives smooth as on a nice road but when on a bumpy road the front clunks a bit and sometimes the n/s shocker squeeks!!!

All this would not be noticed on a smooth road.

Aside from this, BEFORE you test drive the car make sure the engine is stone cold, get a mate to fire it up and you check the exhaust for any blue or black smoke. And listen for any rattles from the engine on start up. I've no experience of G60's so don't know how they should sound from cold, but 1.8 16v's are known to clatter a tad from a cold start. Mine does with 123k on the clock but it does not burn any oil at all.

Get on your knees and look under the engine for signs of oil or water leaks and give the engine a thorough checking for fluid leaks.

Hopefully the owner(s) will have loads of receipts so you can see how the car has been looked after. From reading posts from the G60 peeps it is more a case of buying one with a file full of bills/receipts for work done at good garages and a good service history rather than trying to find a low miler with little or no evidence of repairs. There are people running G60's on here with 150k+ with sweet as a nut engines coz they've been looked after.

Hope this helps, as i said i'm no expert in anyway shape or form!

jump in come on ! , no matter what you check for /find/rule out / and no amount of research will hinder the fact that you will be spending loads of time under a corrado bonnet so make sure you have a garage to pull it into

or worse shedding out loads of money to have it fixed by others not to mention the worry that some fecker will scratch it / dent it/ lean on the door when its open/.. i hate that! kick em in the nads if they do

corrado your gonna love it

First off.. read this:

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... _Checklist

Secondly, G60's are great and Gwerks is even better. Dont be scared of the chargers! If you end up with a car that is cheap but without charger history, get it to them asap.. you can send the charger or take the whole car down.

Thirdly, i'd say the best places to find a car are here or dubforce.net.. chances are the car may have been looked after better. you prob wont find such a potential bargain as you may elsewhere, but my car came cheap from autotrader, and the charger blew up literally the next day!

The car below has been on the forum for a while know, so you should find a good history of it from current and prev owner.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54705

Would write more, but just back from the pub and need to sleep!

Gnight and good luck!

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Baz.

thanks a lot, it seems that its better to get a car with a shed load of history than one with a lower milage and no work done. yeah im defo looking for one on here as i would never buy on of say ebay without viewing it and thats not always easy. plus forums have some sort of mutual respect as everyone is an enthusiast of sort and shares a common interest so in my experience people are more honest and straight up. i havent looked on dubforce but ill join now

thanks