Sign in to follow this  
bighairymuppet

bad earth on n/s headlight urgent help needed

bad earth on n/s headlight urgent help needed.

When i put it in for the mot the output on the n/s was not enough to pass. It does light but it was suggested it has a bad earth.

The only visible thing i can see is that a wire coming out of the light is not even connected to anything. I think its brown so therefore that would be the earth but surely without an earth it wouldn't light at all and i can't find the other part of this wire so its as though it was never connected (if it was i ahve sneaking suspsicion mot guy snipped it either by accident or intentionally.

Any ideas i have no idea on h/light wiring, also where would you run the earth to the batt or engine block?

Please help as mot is booked in again for tuesday and im working monday.

cheers, sorry if this has been posted before i can't find anything thats specific enough about the actual headlight.

I was fitting new headlights yesterday and these are the wires that come out of the back of mine.

Angels025.jpg

There are no blue/white ones. Are you sure they come from the headlights and not something else that may be obselete/disused?

You say you can't see any difference between the lights so maybe you just need some fresh wire in there with an uprated loom?

The wries not coming from t he headlight but it was right near headlight so when i looked at it originally in dark i thought it was that one now thinking i better check in case its off something like a fan.

Ive got a loom but no time to fit as mot is tommorow and it took most of yerterday to sort handbrake and release brake bias valve etc...

I also have worrying a feeling after looking at the wiring i may have a loom already (can't see te relay but have couple of inline fuses which dont look original and are in same config as loom). If i do the lights are stil sh"t so i may need to look at new bulbs etc..

Im going to try and trace where the earth connects to and maybe run an earth from a clean bit of wire there to battery terminal (got a spare cable i made up for testing with crocidle clip at either end see if that'll get me through mot as i can see any visible difference so must be bad earth.

Can someone experienced please advise me if this is a really bad idea coz im not sure on my science behind this.