Sign in to follow this  
turborat

1991,16v problems starting & idleing when cold???

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1991 16v raddo. Recently it is having trouble starting and idleing when cold.

I have read posts about the isv but have no idea where it is and how to go about cleaning it? If anyone has a brief description/pix that would be great.

If there is anything else I should be looking at to cure the problem please let me know.

Cheers

R

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Try a search for isv in the search function matey coz this has been covered many times. There'll be piccies and sound advice there too. People use carb cleaner or petrol to clean the isv and sometimes even give it a bit of a bash to free it in case its sticking!

I'm not computer literate i'm afraid so can't post a pic of where the valve is situated. But it is on top of the engine and therefore easily accessible, and is to the right handside near the injectors and sparkplugs. Apologies for the pants description but a search will throw up a photo. The valve will be a cylinderical metal effort with an electrical contact plugged in. If you need a new isv i think they're £130 or you can search the bay as they come up regularly there.

Maybe have you're cold start injector checked to if the isv route draws a blank.

Good luck :)

Yeh while the car is idling undo the connector for the cold start valve (it's a blue connector on the bottom right of the inlet manifold, sticking out of the manifold) if it still idles poorly the problem is that valve, if it gets worse it will be something else.

Hope this helps