Sign in to follow this  
PhilThePitcher

new rado owner, few questions

i recently bought a '92 VR6 with a few minor issues.

i think its running quite warm although some people have told me its fine. it usually hits the mark right below 230 but on hot days it will hit the 230 mark. it makes me very uncomfortable. what is normal operating temperature?

next question....

it consumes alot of oil. can a later model VR6 engine easliy be swapped in or should i just rebuild mine?

btw it has 200k miles

thanks

think its running quite warm although some people have told me its fine. it usually hits the mark right below 230 but on hot days it will hit the 230 mark. it makes me very uncomfortable. what is normal operating temperature?

Do you mean oil or water temp..

Normal temps in celcius:

Water - 90 degrees...

Oil - `100 to 110 ish...

How much oil is it getting through??

Welcome to the forum by the way...

230f = 110 celcius... That is too hot, is this when you are mving or standing still..

I wouldnt be suprised due to your weather being hotter than ours if you were meant to ahve a cooler operating thermostat..

As for the oil, a quart is give or take a litre, that seems a lot in a 1000 miles. Im lucky in that mine uses none but i know some guys top theirs up. Id inverstigate further before jumping in and doing an overall on Vv seals or such alike...

moving or standing still, it seems to creep up there regardless. i'm going to have to give a good look through of the cooling system. one immediate thing i noticed was some stop leak junk in the coolant and the coolant looked bad also. i heard it needs a factory type coolant, is this correct? if i decide to rebuild the engine can i make a good amount of power if i modify it or should i consider other options? i might as well kill two birds with one stone and do it right while its apart. thanks for all the advice, i really appreciate it.

phil