Sign in to follow this  
bewesy

potential newbie

hi guys

im currently the owner of a vx220 and am looking to change it and get something a little less expensive, around the 3-4k mark.

i have narrowed it down to a choice of 2 really, a 306GTI6 or a corrado VR6.

ive had a 6 before so know what im looking at there but have no idea really what the crack is with a corrado.

(although test drove one at the weekend and the induction roar is immense!)

wish the vx sounded half as nice as that.

what sort of VR6 should i be able to get my grubby mitts on for around this money?

and what sort of things do i need to be checking?

i know about the cam chain replacement at 100k miles but other then checking everything works i am quite ignorant.

i know this question has probably been asked a zillion times but just a few quick pointers, or pointers to buying guides would be of great help.

thanks once again

andy

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... _Checklist

Is the buying guide...

Chains dont have to have been changed at 100k, it all depends on how they sound, listen for any nasty rattles... They do sound a bit tappety on start up but that should clear quite quickly, if it doesnt id be walking away...

For 3-4k you will have a wide choice of VRs, leather is always a bonus - go and have a look at a few and youll get a feel for what you want..

VX220 is a great car, i had a blast in one not long ago and they are monsters!!!!

Hi Bewesy. Good luck in your search. I'm selling my Rado at the moment which won't be too far out of your budget - I'm looking for four and a half. Recaro Leather, Schrick, Miltek etc etc.

thanks guys - the buying guide is very useful and i will definately be taking notes.

i will need to shift the vx before i make my decison/purchase.

i had it 18 months now and although every single trip is still an 'event' the novelty has slightly worn off.

although if just replaced some worn parts on it an its driving like a dream now and i dont want to part with it - ha, typical! :roll:

the gti6 is an awesome car for the money but thinking of going for a corrado as i havent yet had the pleasure of owning one.

that VR6 induction howl is like nothing else!!! 8)

brian, have you got a link to your car?

to be honest 4.5k is out of my range - but id like to see whats on offer at that price.

im trying to stick around the 3.5k range. the idea being pay off the vx loan and still have a fast car, but if the right car comes along then we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

is there any big bills i should expect when looking after a vr6?

for instance, a headlight for a vx220 from vauxhall is 650 quid !!!!! WTF !!!!!

and a clutch change is an engine out affair.

robbing barstewards... hehe! :2gunfire:

thanks again

andy

Bewesy, link to my car on pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/154751.htm

In terms of big bills, you need to look out for head gasket, timing chains etc. In it's day, it was mid-twenty grand coupe, so although you can get them relatively cheaply, running costs are not cheap.

Most guy's big bills will be in terms of mods / upgrades though! =)

If you go to Pistonheads, I suggest you take a look through JonRB's ownership diary & car review, which he's maintained fairly constantly for three or four years now.

Obviously all cars are different, but it should give you a good insight into the ownership costs you can expect.

HTH,

John

thanks again chaps...

will definately be keeping my eyes on whats about on here.

brian, your car is very nice - maybe end up paying that bit extra for something a little bit more special.

leccy recaros huh - posh git :wink: