Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Temp Issue

Got caught in a couple of days ago and obviously the engine gets hot (VR6). The fans kicked it at 100c-102c and it cooled down, this happened about 3-4 times no problem. The 5th time the fans didn't come in at all and the temp went up to 112c! Thankfully I'd started moving at a reasonable speed and that cooled it down but the fact the fans didn't cut in at all now has me worried.

Plus, after searching I've noticed that the fans should actually cut in earlier? Around 90c?

It's going to PSI on sat but just for a basic service, they don't have time for anything else as they're busy, so is there a temp sensor or something that this could be that I can just buy (relatively cheaply) and get them to fit rather than spend time (which I haven't got) diagnosing it.

I seem to recall a temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator??? Is that pretty quick to fit? (for a garage I mean)

Cheers

Andy

did you try turning your heating on full to get rid of the heat?

i'd let it cool off and then experiment to see if it comes on at all now

This was on friday, haven't had it hot since then.

I use it for work and (next week anyway) I'm likely to be in rush hour traffic. With it going to PSI Tuning on sat I just wondered if they're cheap I'll get them to replace the temp sensors.

Are they meant to kick in before 100c?

oil temp or water temp? :lol: i'm quite interested myself, as mine acts weirdly and random at times, especially with the aircon on??

You should have speed 1 about 95ish, speed 2 at just over 100 and th third should kick in at 112...

The thermoswitch in the radiator is about 20 quid from the dealers but you can test to see if that is the problem..

If youve lost the fans then it could be the motor on the fan itself, thats what happened to mine and i still got speed 3....

Is replacing the fans an expensive do? Looks tight down there. (got aircon too)

Is it worth replacing the radiator when thats done? (Whenever it might need it)