Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Brakes squeeking but have i tried everytthing help

Right my brakes keep squeeking when coming to a stop just lightly on the brake and they squeel hard on the brake and the squeel but not as much!

Copper Greased my older pads(edge and on the back of the pad) which were brand new when the discs were fitted at the same time!

Wire brushed the carriers etc!

Tried new brake pads (mintex extreme)Greased these aswell on sides but not on back because they have a shim on them!

Anyone think of any other things that could be the cause?? Seems to be when the brake areas have heated up! Front brakes by the way!

Cheers in advance

I have the same problem with the MIntex Extreme and have had several phone calls to there technical people who have suggested several thing to try but with no avail...

GSF say they have had alot of complaints and will refund so i am taking them off this week - the other thing i wasn't told when I first bought them is that they also should not be used with standard discs - i was told this after i complained that they have half worn out a pair of £60 VAG discs in 6k miles.

yeah but the same squeel noise happened when i had the older pads on which i think were VAG ones ! Mintex are supposed to be bringing out some discs to go with them but may decide on upgrading to 288mm ones eventually!

may decide on upgrading to 288mm ones eventually!

Jon do it, they are so much better....

If its easy to do i might give it a crack eventually gonna sort the chains first book a week off work, book it in to PSI and get them done! Maybe they will have an idea on whats causing the brakes to squeel! I think it might be a caliper problem in my case but cant imagine both going at the same time and they start to squeel after 2-3 mins of driving! Could it be the piston not retracting fully!

My dad thinks it could be the carriers as they are original ones he says maybe the gap that the pads need to move could be sightly bigger due to wear over the years makes sense because when i greased them they were fine for a couple of miles then the would squeel again as the copper grease is worn away is that a possible solution opinions please!

Also anyone know the parts numbers of front carriers and calipers for 280mm standard vr6 and prices???

mines lot a little squeek its a squeel high pitch one enough to wake people up in the morning! Just done a nice 80 down the bypass and slowed to 20mph hard on the brakes to turn onto my estate and the squeel dissapeared but will most probably come back later

had the the same problem on a tarox 6pot set up.one of the pistons was not retracting properly.pushed it in and hey presto!if you look closely at your pads they are probably worn uneven.got an unhealthy binding on the offending wheel bearing/hub-so gunner change that while i'm down there.since i freed the piston off-no squeel.its just broke my heart to have to pay for 4 new pads-£158-arrrrrrrgh!