Jim Bowen

EDIT: Now with a guide (electric window mech)

:lol: :lol: everyone run & hide :lol:

i really need to sort out my electric window, doesn't close properly, leaves a 5mm gap and sometimes rises too straight and doesn't follow the curve of the door.

i have bought a new motor, mechanism etc, a big ol' lump of stuff :lol:

but really would like a hand with rivets etc i don't wanna cock it up

i'd be happy to pay someone for their time

its not that difficult mate just time consuming and very fiddley

doing mine was one of the first jobs i did without any help

how did you get on with this? If you dont mind coming down to sunny Kent im happy to give a you a hand.

Gav

i still havn't done it :lol: am putting up with the whistling and having to pull window up with my hands for the final bit :(

Thanks very much for the offer

How far is Kent from Essex? If you PM me your postcode that'll be handy.

I don't even have a rivet gun yet

does anyone know the size of rivets i need?

Have you fitted the window yet?

I can try to find you some of the rivets I used and post them. It's best to use a set of lazy tongs rather than the plier type of rivet gun because of the location of some of the rivets.

Tom

this problem just got worse

i know peanut very kindly offered to help, but lazy me never got round to doing it, Sorry about that Peanut (Gav)?

just driving now and heard a funny noise when doing window down, now the motor and stuff spins around (makes noise) but window doesn't move at all, i think something has broke

its now stuck with about an 1-2inch gap at the top :!:!:! can pull it up but doesn't take much to fall down :(

could this be the cable snapped? i found that the plastic guide that the cable runs thru at bottom of main arm, seems to let the cable slip thru it? is that normal

Right, i've been doing this tonight, not finished yet, i'll finish off my guide once job is done, i couldn't find the other thread with some of this in

Its a bit of an idiots guide tbh :lol:

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

I got the old mechanism out, but the rivets that came with the gun i got earlier this evening are too shallow, so finishing job when i get more rivets!!!!

i have a question

i just pushed the arms of mech away from glass to separate them from window

but the new mech has wheels on the ends of the arms, and now i have wheels still on the window in my door?

do i pull the wheels off the new arms and bin them, or remove wheels from window and fit to new mech?

how do i get the wheels off the window?

:lol:

They just come out the ends of the track. Put the best 2 you have into the window.

woohoo, all fixed and working fine now :D

very chuffed with myself, didn't have to bend anything, all went in quite well.

My tip = make sure you have drilled the rivets out the mechanism before putting it in place to be re-riveted :lol: Spent a while getting mech in, then i realised it still had the old bits of rivet in it :lol: = idiot

i put the mech in first, to the far left, then motor up high on the right. Then lower window a bit until top of mech is in the rectangular cutout on door, swing it into place, then raise window to get motor in place 8)