Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

G60 hesitation/misfire -- Now fixed

Ok people thinking caps on! For the last few weeks I have been noticing a hesitation/misfire when I go to full throttle it happens in all gears any speed, its fine to drive until I go WOT so it cant be the plugs/leads/cap or rotor arm (cap/rotor arm replaced 2 weeks ago anyway)

Thought it might be my knock sensor as the insulation was hanging off in places but I changed it on the weekend and it’s made no difference :-(

I guess it can’t be the lambda probe as it’s not used at WOT, it also has a new(ish replaced last summer) fuel filter and BTS (although the BTS was a GSF part so may try a new VAG one)

Last night I tested the WOT and idle switches on the TB and they are both ok, so I am a little stuck for ideas now, the search returned lots of G60’s with dodgy idle and misfire problems but not one exclusively at WOT :roll:

So anyone got any good ideas of what to test next?

Cheers all

Dan

you need to check the throttle switches with a multi meter set to ohms, check that you get resistance one way, and none the otherway

Cheers Flusted I did test the switches with my meter and they are ok, but I did notice that my throttle cable is a little slack could be time for a new one.

I also noticed on the way to work this morning that the problem does not start till the oil temp is upto 75, I never boot it till she is up to 80 but wanted to see if the problem was still there while the engine was warming up, and apparently its not :roll:

I had the same problem a while ago, pulled fine on part throttle but hit WOT and it just bogged down.

Checked rotor arm and dizzy cap and found signs of arcing so cleaned it up and she ran fine, so changed them both and she has been fine ever since

Cheers Andy

I changed the rotor arm and dizzy cap a few weeks ago but will check em again on the weekend just in case.

Cheers for all the replies :-) I spent today testing and replacing bits but I am now starting to suspect the headgasket as its getting worse and worse :-( time to get the coolent sniff checked on Monday...

Well I just found out why I have been loosing coolent from the header tank the last week or so... the o-ring had rolled up on one side :-) sorted that but she is still missfiring badly once warmed up :-(

Changed the plugs (NGK BP6ET) had to put these in rather than the recommended ones as one of the old plugs had a knackered thred so I didnt want to put it back in, and they where all I could get within walking distance :-( also fitted a new VAG BTS yesterday but no change :roll:

going to get it sniff tested on Monday to rule out the head gasket but thinking about it could a dodgy coil cause this? Guess its got to be worth a coil and set of leads to find out.

I've got a spare coil you can try. I'll throw it in the car this afternoon.

Did you just take the caps off you plugs in the end?

yes mate cheers for the top tip... :oops: I didnt realise the ends unscrewed so was well pissed when the leads wouldnt go back on!

Would be wicked if I could borrow a spare coil to test! :-D

Low fuel pressure under load,broken,split small rubber pipe on FPR,full load switch not engaging due to slack throttle cable,corrosion inside king lead to coil,hall sender in dist. breaking down under full load(quite common),injectors partially blocked,choked -up fuel filter,bloked air filter,plug gaps too wide with worn electrodes....

full load switch not engaging due to slack throttle cable

I reckon we ought to shim your throttle cable out a bit Dan, see if it's that first...

this is exactly the problem im getting! but mines transplanted into a golf.

nothing under WOT, part throttle is cool but gutless at WOT.

can distributor failure give you this problem??? :?

Yea it cant hurt to try and sort the tension on the throttle cable, should get a new one really but as always there are more important things to buy! :-)

will check the FPR pipe, swap that coil and get the coolent tested tommrrow that will give me a much better idea whats going on :-D

Ok so I have now sorted the tension on the throttle cable and checked the FPR pipe and both are ok, the garage have also confirmed that there are no exhaust gasses in the coolent so looks like this weekend I will be mostly replacing my leads and coil,

So suggestions please? I have heard that the Beru or Magnecor ones are good but can I get them from GSF? and do they come in blue silicone? (bit gay I know but I would like them to match the silicone hoses that will be going on in the summer) :oops:

Just to let everyone know a new set of leads from GSF sorted the problem this morning! :-D

Cheers for the offer of coil Tom and jon_g60 :-) let me know if you want a hand looking at the Golf on the weekend? Would love to see it in the flesh!

Cheers all

Dan

no worries dan, thats what i'm here for!

glad to here it sorted!! i'm gonna go have a look at mine now.......