Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Important info about DVLA

PLEASE read if you're in the process of selling a car

Changes in the law now mean that you are held legally responsible for any illegal activity (including it not being taxed or declared SORN) involving a car that you have previously owned unless you can prove that you sent the V5 to the DVLA.

The DVLA will, within 14 days of receipt of your V5 send you a letter confirming receipt of the document, if you do not receive this then YOU continue to be legally responsible for the car.

Only found this out due to being hit with an £80 fine due to my old G60 being sold to Eire, obvioulsy it wasn't retaxed when it expired in the UK and I was held responsible as the DVLA never apparently received the V5 advising of change of owner.

Fortunately I have appealed and won (even got an apology in writing) - but it took several letters and numerous phonecalls to sort out.

Put simply, if you do not get a letter within two weeks of sending your V5 to them advising of a change of owner then get on the phone to them otherwise you could find yourself being fined or worse, in court.

Feck!

Cheers for that.... Have been waiting 4 weeks for DVLA to sort out a change of address... Off to teh local DVLA office Monday then!

Make sure you ring them BEFORE 9am, otherwise you will never get through. Best thing to do is to keep phoning them 5 mins before 9 to make sure you're one of the first through.