Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Anyone had their alloys blasted & re-coloured?

Would like to go for black or dark graphite coloured alloys on my C, the style of the TSW's I've already got on really suit the car, but fancy them in a different colour, and was wondering on the cost and how they would last if I had them cleaned and re-done?

I know it would be cheaper than a new set, but does the new colour stay good over time and wear?

Anybody had it done?

get them powder coated.. lasts well.. used to get a mate of mine to do my motox bike frames and rims.. looks the aprt and lasts well...

just pop down a powder coating place there always up for a bit of a fiddle and cash on the side...

pretty much any refurber will offer a variety of colours, and various ways of achieving the colour.

Powder Coating, Painting, Lacquoring, they'll offer the lot.

Its very dependant on wheel design and car colour, as to what suits what.

I just had my wheels refurbed, and stuck with a straight silver finish. I was tempted to go a little darker, but they are spoked wheels, and that can give the illusion of being permentently dirty

ps, expect to pay around 35-45 quid a wheel

Jay, you can spend anywhere upwards of £15 a wheel for this sort of job.

Over the years i've had quite a few done by all different outfits.

The best job i have seen to date is the one i am having done right now for my 1303 Beetle wheels. They are costing me £25 per wheel. Will post up a before and after of the job, cos its absolutely show standard. (bare in mind this is a friend of a friend who is just doing it in his spare time at work where he has the facilities to get the job done to the right standard)

Some places quoted me £55 per wheel for my Borbets which were pretty battered when i bought them. I actually only paid £20 per wheel about 24 months ago, and they are still just about ok. (Some lacquer issues here and there)

I would say that you dont need to spend £55 per wheel that alot of the more "Marketed" companies charge. Just find a good honest garage or someone with some experience with this kind of thing and around a £100 for the set will get you the right job. All the places i use are in Leicester, so a bit far for you i suppose?

prices do obviously vary on the style, and condition and size yus.

would have though 15 quid a wheel was asking a lot though.

I didn't see anywhere cheaper than 35, but then I am south of the Watford Gap