Sign in to follow this  
smudge

rust around fuel cap

Rust problems!!!!!!

I have a storm and got a bit of blistering paint around the fuel cap. It was barley noticable so a felt it and it got worse - as rust does.

I then decided to get it sorted and got it fixed (or so I thought) at a local body shop. The rust came back about 4 months later and the body shop did it again - for free. Guess what its back.

I took it to another body shop who said it really needs that section replacing!! any thoughts?

Yeah lots of thoughts but non that will be of any practical use!!!

When you say around, do you mean around the plastic sleeve or around the hinged cover?

Will be interested to hear what you end up doing about it though ;)

Have seen this before and the cure was to get a piece cut from a car that was scrap and welded in place - by someone who knows what they are doing..

Thanks for the advice - I will get a picture on tomorrow so ou can see for yourself.

Smudge

Ive seen a few corrados that have rust inside the fuel flap but on the body if you know what I mean.

seen a few scrapped too as they wernt caught in time.

chubbz

The rubber sleeve which goes around the end of the fuel tank pipe and sits around the filler pipe apature in the car body does collect mud thrown up by the rear wheel (just glad Corrados have a plastic tank and not a metal one al-a early Polos - have caused big rust problems for me in the past).

I occasionally unclip the rubber sleeve and schoosh water around the hole from outside as well as up from underneath whilst running a finger around the pipe apature to clean off the muck (keeping the filler cap firmly fitted of course!). Once dry, a smear of Waxoil around the apature edges prior to refitting the sleeve hopfully keeps rust at bay.

There is a metal spring ring clip which goes around the inside the sleeve to help keep it tight to the body and so form a good seal - perhpas yours is missing? Having said that, it doen't seem create a particularly tight fit so I would use some grease or Waxoil here anyway.

The picture isn't very good but the rust is in the top left corner - where the flash has reflected. I forgot to mention that the rust started at the central locking slot. The body shop cut out the rotten bit and welded in a new piece - just hasn't worked very well. The afffected area is the side to the left of the fuel cap.

I totally agree with yellowpfd about durt thrown up by rear wheel problem is I only noticed this after I spotted the rust.

I was thinking I could get another body shop to weld in a new piece or I could try and get a scrap yard to cut a piece all the way around the fuel cap of a corrado - do you think a scrap yard would do that? I am in Aberdeen all the good VW yards are mile away!

I have the exact same problem on my C. Anyone know roughly how much it would cost for a bodyshop to weld in a replacement section?

All the Corrado's that I have had have had the same problem to different extents, my aqua blue G60 was the worst, it was rusted through outside the filler flap at the bottom, on the others the rust was contained within the filler flap recess.

The only real solution is to cut the metal out and weld in a replacement section.