Sign in to follow this  
greenshiregaz

Newbie saying Hi.

Hello to all

Recently found the site after buying a '91 16Valver,

ive been browsing and im sooo glad i found you all...

well, loads of questions to come, as the old girl has failed the MOT (only just), and i want her on the road for the summer.

cheers

Gareth :thumbleft:

just a couple of pics after i picked her up (the weather looks worse than it was...honest haha)

whiterado027.jpg

whiterado020.jpg

whiterado023.jpg

whiterado010.jpg

whiterado007.jpg

all the panels are straight and original,surface scabs of rust on a couple of panels though, sticker in boot and also the swage lines are clean and even....the only problems are surface rust on all suspension parts...it does rub off, a crack in the windscreen and the brake hose connectors are "excessively" corroded (yeah whatever lol).. oh and the brake pressure valve/ load regulator (i think they are the same thing??) has seized!

not that bad considering the car has been sat in a garage for 4yrs...oh it did over heat when i drove it home, just as i pulled up outside the house !! but after flushing it out and topping up with new coolant its all smiles again.

its my first corrado, and everything seems to work, sunroof tilts AND slides, but the spoiler blows a fuse when going down ...central locking works too after i changed that fuse :-)..

any thing else i should look out for?? any info much appreciated.

Gar

The blowing fuse on the spoiler is probably because the mechanism is all dirty inside. It happens now that the cars are getting to these sorts of ages.

Someone on VW Vortex did a most excellent guide on how to clean it.. that can be found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3085588

Looks nice though mate - love white Corrado's. Love all the "flat" colours in fact. The contrast with the dark bits of trim and the bright white really shows off the Corrado's angles and lines.. superb! Look forward to seeing it come on and get sorted for the MOT :)

thanks for the info Jim, i'll try to clean it up soon.... i love the spoiler bit on the 'rado, its like ive got my very own porsche thing going on lol lol

Hello from one newbie to another! :D Car looks clean mate...nice one.

cheers Bennie, hello to you too mate.... the car is pretty clean, its got all the little extras too, like the triangle and an unopened First aid box aswel....bargain :thumb right:

The spoiler never gets old for me. I've had 3 Corrado's now since 2001 and I still look in the rear view mirror when i'm approaching 'activation speed' to see it go up.. sad eh! :D

The spoiler never gets old for me. I've had 3 Corrado's now since 2001 and I still look in the rear view mirror when i'm approaching 'activation speed' to see it go up.. sad eh! :D

hahaha, no its not sad at all mate, its one of the reasons i wanted a rado.... when mine did work the "once" it went up at about 60mph !! is that right?? cos most i hear about go up at 42mph !!

have i got a dodgy motor/sender/ driver hahaha

hahaha, no its not sad at all mate, its one of the reasons i wanted a rado.... when mine did work the "once" it went up at about 60mph !! is that right?? cos most i hear about go up at 42mph !!

I think you'll find it can vary, my 94 rado went up at 55mph. But my 91 G60 went up at 45 and so does my 93 VR.

I think you'll find it can vary, my 94 rado went up at 55mph. But my 91 G60 went up at 45 and so does my 93 VR.

ahhh, ok then....panic over :D

another question.....how much are we talking for a new windscreen fitted (not through insurance) ?? does anyone know off the top of their heads?? before i get some prices.

thanks

hello mate - you might want to look on/at the newport edition website, as I met a friend from there when I sold my corrado - really nice bloke gets about on here too his name's Ewan :wink:

hello mate - you might want to look on/at the newport edition website, as I met a friend from there when I sold my corrado - really nice bloke gets about on here too his name's Ewan :wink:

haha yeah, i know Ewan....nice and tidy Red 'rado..good looking motor.

I got a new windscreen done on one of my Corrado's for £250.. wasn't a genuine VW screen (which most people suggest you should get) but it seemed ok and leak free!

The blowing fuse on the spoiler is probably because the mechanism is all dirty inside. It happens now that the cars are getting to these sorts of ages.

Someone on VW Vortex did a most excellent guide on how to clean it.. that can be found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3085588

Looks nice though mate - love white Corrado's. Love all the "flat" colours in fact. The contrast with the dark bits of trim and the bright white really shows off the Corrado's angles and lines.. superb! Look forward to seeing it come on and get sorted for the MOT :)

just an update, i finally bit the bullet and dismantled my rear spoiler, wow, loads of parts to loose lol.

took the motor apart and it was stinking dirty, cleaned it all out and sorted the sliding mechanism of the "arms" while i was at it, and it all works perfectly...on the switch and at speed.

well chuffed with the result, ive got to tidy all the wiring away now, thats the only problem hahaha.

cheers for the tip Jim :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

also sorted the other failures for the MOT, the brake hose connectors, and the cv joint, just gotta get the windscreen replaced now and im on the road in a Rado....excellent :-)